Track Plan assistence requested

Rate this topic

Imahilus

Excellent benchwork, will make a fine foundation. Looks like you are using set track - fine, but it significantly reduces the 'flow' of Glenderg's fine track plan. Well worth considering, to avoid too many straight lines. Only a very small amount of extra work, but the result will be far more realistic.

• Like 2

Very good point David, you're quite right. The intention actually has been to use flex-track from the start, the set-track I have in that photo isn't actually in great nick to be used anymore, but it's still handy for mock-ups to get a more visual representation for a feel :)

Though if you have specific suggestions on where to introduce some subtle curves, I'd be all ears.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd stick to one of Glenderg's plans. Especially like the second one, but then have always preferred the 'less is more' approach to track as it leaves better scope for scenics.

Keeping things simple means you will have a layout up and running in less time too. Treat it as part of the learning process. It is unlikely to be your 'forever' layout, though it might be possible to incorporate it into something larger at a later date.

A good trick with layout design is to avoid track running parallel to the edge of the baseboad, while having the main run going diagonally across the boards increases the length of run slightly too. Try sketching it out on your board, or a piece of wallpaper.

Edited by David Holman