Platform Maths check please

Rate this question

Buz

Question

Hi all

I found on the Net a measurement for Dunsandle platform as being 230' long

My maths which I was never any good at tells me the platform length at full 4mm scale length is 36.2".

No idea what .2 of an inch works out at as something that can be measured on a rule

Also does anyone know are platforms measured as a full overall length or are they measured between the ramps?

The reason I am doubting the length calculation, I have yet to come across a station able to be done full size in something nearly resembling a reasonable space

It could almost be done on 9' X 5'  if you can live with the curved tracks out of the station instead of straight ones

How to hide the loop on relatively flat ground is going to be interesting.

regards John

3 answers to this question

230 x 4 = 920mm, which is indeed about three foot in old money. Wouldn't worry about exact measurements though, because even the largest railway room will always incur a compromise somewhere. Better, I think, to follow the Iain Rice rule of a train needing to travel at least three times it's own length across the scenic part of the layout to look realistic. Rice would also counsel against long platforms as they take up a lot of space for little operational value - but then he has always favoured freight traffic over passenger as being more interesting.

Anyway 230' of platform is enough for three modern coaches, or around seven six wheelers, which sounds like a nice amount to me.

42 minutes ago, David Holman said:

230 x 4 = 920mm, which is indeed about three foot in old money. Wouldn't worry about exact measurements though, because even the largest railway room will always incur a compromise somewhere. Better, I think, to follow the Iain Rice rule of a train needing to travel at least three times it's own length across the scenic part of the layout to look realistic. Rice would also counsel against long platforms as they take up a lot of space for little operational value - but then he has always favoured freight traffic over passenger as being more interesting.

Anyway 230' of platform is enough for three modern coaches, or around seven six wheelers, which sounds like a nice amount to me.

Thanks for a very helpful answer

So a G and one coach will be fine, I think that just about meets the three times scenic rule and it hasn't left the station yet 🤣

Trains through Dunsandle that I have found pictures of on the Net, are a bit varied, but are all train set sized for want of a better description.

The passenger train no matter what's hauling it is one coach from what I can tell the brake coach from the Bachmann Irish set is what I need to find for the coach.

It could have up to eight wagons and a brake van tacked on the back I better make sure the SM's wagon load of peat for domestic fuel is on the train😀.

Have not seen any Kits for Irish six wheel coaches or English ones that could have a spray can conversion, read as at this point in time don't know who originaly owned the line.

So don't know which two six wheeler's or steamer would be suitable 🙁

regards John