Hymek Class 35 C.I.E. Livery - repairing/replacing the Power Bogie

Rate this question

Shane McD

Question

Hi All,

I have had a Hymek Class 35 C.I.E. Livery Engine (Hornby R.768) since the late 1970's - actually I have two but one is on the blink.

I have one that runs reasonably but the other will not budge.

Obviously age may have something to do with it so what I am considering doing is purchasing a replacement Power Bogie (I have seen one that is available at what I would consider a decent price).

So, what I am wondering is this: Should I make an attempt to service the original power bogie first (following a youtube video that I have seen) or just replace it?

I don't have any experience at servicing these trains and they have not run in many a long year.

I am hoping to sell these on along with a few other engines and rolling stock from the late 70's/early 80's.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Shane McD

4 answers to this question

I have very recently purchased an old Triang/Hornby DMU cheap as chips, purely for the motor bogie. This however had the old 'Super 4' chunky wheels. To get replacement wheels I tried contacting a couple of parties that were recommended to me, but none even replied. Then I saw this guy advertising in the 'Railway Modeller'.

Dave Good, trading as "Scalespeed", 32 Goldfinch Lane, Lee on Solent, Hants PO13 8LN. His website is www.scalespeed.co.uk.

I sent him all four of my T/H DMU power bogies. For about £25 (including P&P) each, all now have Code 100 wheels, have been re-magnatized, re-brushed, cleaned, etc. and he also fitted extra wires to allow electrical pickup from another bogie. Two of them power my two BUT sets, the other two are headed for an MPD and a Class 70 projects which are under way.

He does a big range of motor refurbishment. Turnaround time was about five days.

I can not recommend Dave's services highly enough. 

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

Hi Lambeg man,

I'm assuming you're asking for my question to be re-directed to "Services" forum? 🤔🙂👍

No problem. I wasn't sure where to originally post it.

As for the recommendation - as I intend to sell this particular engine on i don't want to have to spend money on it that i won't get back so I doubt I'll send it to him. But again, thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Shane McD

No Shane, I wasn't asking for YOUR post to be moved!

Sorry, I just copied ALL of my original post to here. The request to move was for my original post as I could not find a way to post it in "Services".

Sorry again for any offence or confusion caused. As you can see I have now edited it to read what I actually meant to say!

Kind Regards,

LM

Edited by Lambeg man