Donegal Railways

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi all

As we approach the Christmas period my thoughts have turned back to my proposed Donegal layout.

Now as some of you will be aware, a new book by Michael Whitehouse (Narrow gauge album 1950 -1965 in Colour) has just so happen to turn up today, on page 196/7 there is one of the best photos I have seen of the Barnesmore Gap with a train, so far so good.

As this one photo has got me salivating to make a model of this bit of the Donegal is there any thing which I should try to include in which is only seen in the Gap on the Donegal? Of course if I had the space a small version of the gap would be built in about 25 to 35ft but as I only have 10ft to play with I would welcome any suggestions.

Regards

Colin R

What is it about a single photo that stirs the juices? Not sure, bit certainly agree. HC Casserley's shot of a train about to leave Burtonport has spawned many a sketch plan, but sadly, do not have the room to do it justice, especially in 7mm scale.

And there's the rub, ten feet is a reasonable space in 4mm scale (I presume), though immediately sets the ideal train length to no more than 40 inches - based on the Iain Rice rule that a train needs to be able to travel three times its own length on the scenic section. Any longer and it won't look right.

Still 40" is not bad in 4mm scale, though this assumes your 10' doesn't include any fiddle yards or storage sidings. Ideally, a continuous run, methinks.

My own memory of driving the Barnesmore Gap a few years ago, was of a very wild place, with little, if any habitation. Would think that open framed baseboards, to give land above and below the track, would work best. Likewise, fairly deep boards too, with a high backscene and fully enclosed fascia, pelmets etc. Two books spring to mind. Rice's latest, ' Cameo Layouts' and Gordon Gravett's book on Scenics. The first to get inspiration for overall presentation, the second to create superlative ground cover. There's not going to be much in the way of complex track, bit with scenics and presentation done well, it could make a stunning layout.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, David Holman said:

What is it about a single photo that stirs the juices? Not sure, bit certainly agree. HC Casserley's shot of a train about to leave Burtonport has spawned many a sketch plan, but sadly, do not have the room to do it justice, especially in 7mm scale.

And there's the rub, ten feet is a reasonable space in 4mm scale (I presume), though immediately sets the ideal train length to no more than 40 inches - based on the Iain Rice rule that a train needs to be able to travel three times its own length on the scenic section. Any longer and it won't look right.

Still 40" is not bad in 4mm scale, though this assumes your 10' doesn't include any fiddle yards or storage sidings. Ideally, a continuous run, methinks.

My own memory of driving the Barnesmore Gap a few years ago, was of a very wild place, with little, if any habitation. Would think that open framed baseboards, to give land above and below the track, would work best. Likewise, fairly deep boards too, with a high backscene and fully enclosed fascia, pelmets etc. Two books spring to mind. Rice's latest, ' Cameo Layouts' and Gordon Gravett's book on Scenics. The first to get inspiration for overall presentation, the second to create superlative ground cover. There's not going to be much in the way of complex track, bit with scenics and presentation done well, it could make a stunning layout.

Thanks David, I will have to put Ian's book on my list, as to Gordon's book I have the Grasslands book, but not either of the tree books yet.

The plan at the moment is for the layout to be 10ft plus the fiddle yards at each end, I am thinking in terms of 3ft deep boards and working in 4mm, but due to the radius of 3ft for the curves at each end the total length will be 18 ft, I am thinking in making it a round and round layout with the F/Y behind it for continuous run at exhibitions, to be able to run the famous excursions of 11 coaches won't be possible in that length as they would appear to be too long, I would need to build the layout to a minimum of 30ft for that to happen.  

Thanks for the advice so far from you both, I have had a look at the Finntown operation and there are some possibilities in this as well.

Colin   

Sounds like the makings of a plan, Colin. One that could make a very impressive model and a pleasant change from the norm we see too often in magazines these days.

Suggest lots of planning, sketches etc to further visualise the concept and maybe a 'model of the model' as Gordon suggests. Your book of his is the one I meant. Will look forward to hearing how you get on.

• Like 1