Model Railway Journal 289

Rate this topic

David Holman

Couple of things may be of interest in the latest edition.

First an article on creating wagon tarpaulin from bath sealant and Kleenex. Second a remarkable couple of photos on page 77. Hard to tell if they are of a model, or the real thing. In fact they are neither, instead being virtual images (made using Fusion 360) of High Wycombe station buildings in broad gauge days.

Very clever, though one wonders if in future, folk will actually be making real models and it will be all virtual stuff instead!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The wagon tarpaulin thing comes at a good time for me. I made one out of a piece of glasses cleaning cloth glued to a bit of stiff paper and bent into shape recently, but I'm not 100% happy with it - it looks a bit too coarse. It'll do for the time being, but I will have another wagon to do, so the "kleenex" sounds well worth a try.

What sort of bath sealant is recommended?

• Like 1

I do mine using cooking foil. Some threads are glued on the back with evostik for the tying down, and I fold the edges over to give a clean edge and add some strength. Then paint with Humbrol light grey primer, topped with Matt dark grey. The lettering is Matt white applied with a springbow pen, but you need to be careful or the pen will cut through the foil. It’s quite good for taking up natural looking sags and folds.

• Informative 2

On 19/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, jhb171achill said:

The wagon tarpaulin thing comes at a good time for me. I made one out of a piece of glasses cleaning cloth glued to a bit of stiff paper and bent into shape recently, but I'm not 100% happy with it - it looks a bit too coarse. It'll do for the time being, but I will have another wagon to do, so the "kleenex" sounds well worth a try.

What sort of bath sealant is recommended?

It's a four page article, and and reading it through seems a bit complex, albeit very effective looking. Any water based sealant ought to do, though to be honest, the method used by weathering guru Martyn Welch is a lot simpler. Ordinary masking tape, cut to size, then painted with Humbrol gunmetal, looks pretty good and have been using that method for years.

• Like 1