Carriage foot boards - ex-TDR 21L & 22L

Rate this question

Pete00018

Question

Does anyone know what colour the footboards on C&L 21L and 22L would of been.

The two colour photo I have seen of the two coaches together are inconclusive (pg 108 A Second Glance - 4L [incorrectly identified as probably 8L] blowing of at Dromod and pg 35 Narrow Gauge in Colour- 5T train is in the shadowed coming over the level crossing).

I think the b/w picture of 21L newly refurbished at Ballinamore shows the footboards as possibly light to mid grey but the photos of 22L are harder to distinguish.

As an aside I know the colour photos showing the LRTL special on the T&DR in 1953 show the foot boards as very light grey, however I would presume that is a mix of weathering/lack of maintenance and the Kodachrome used. 

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

5 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Pete00018 said:

Does anyone know what colour the footboards on C&L 21L and 22L would of been.

The two colour photo I have seen of the two coaches together are inconclusive (pg 108 A Second Glance - 4L [incorrectly identified as probably 8L] blowing of at Dromod and pg 35 Narrow Gauge in Colour- 5T train is in the shadowed coming over the level crossing).

I think the b/w picture of 21L newly refurbished at Ballinamore shows the footboards as possibly light to mid grey but the photos of 22L are harder to distinguish.

As an aside I know the colour photos showing the LRTL special on the T&DR in 1953 show the foot boards as very light grey, however I would presume that is a mix of weathering/lack of maintenance and the Kodachrome used. 

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

Only seeing this. Footboards were always painted black by CIE, but weathered down with brake dust and wear and tear to a nondescript grubby colour.

On 31/5/2022 at 12:24 AM, jhb171achill said:

Only seeing this. Footboards were always painted black by CIE, but weathered down with brake dust and wear and tear to a nondescript grubby colour.

Just a follow up, any idea what colour the side lamps might of been at the guards ends. Same issue as footboards with the colour to photos to identify for modelling.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Pete00018 said:

Just a follow up, any idea what colour the side lamps might of been at the guards ends. Same issue as footboards with the colour to photos to identify for modelling.

Thanks

If you mean the lamp housings permanently attached to guards vans, the body colour. Grey van, grey mountings.