O Gauge Radius

Rate this question

Railway Lyons

Question

Hi All,

Going to be doing up the garden with raised flowerbeds, and a sizable shed, so while in planning mode, figured might be a good idea to get the radius required for O Gauge curves, and order materials accordingly.

I aim to run a single line for now (double only with permission, working on that with management). Want to run everything from 08 shunter to LNER A4, wagons to coaches.

Looked online and found few different opinions on what can get away with, but looking for advice from those with experience.

Cheers all.

4 answers to this question

Biggest you can manage is the answer, as you probably know ! Bigger radii give the best running and more realistic appearance - and in a garden you will hopefully have more scope for this.

I have the latest issue of the Gauge O Guild mag in front of me, which has an article on min radii. Apparently 1028mm is what O gauge RTR manufacturers recommend as minimum.  

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

I think the 1028mm radius Galteemore refers to is what the Peco 0 gauge set track is. That will be fine for small wheelbase locos and four wheel wagons, but if you want to run mainline locos, then six feet/1.8m is probably essential and with a whole garden to play with, as he says, the bigger the better. three metres/ten feet would certainly look nice if you have the room.

• Like 2