-
Posts
5,004 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
59
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Galteemore
-
They were used all over the system so yes
-
Could go for a small 0-6-0. The PG class has been successfully made out of a Bachmann SECR C class goods loco on here, by Nelson some years ago.
-
Fabulous - sorry I’ll miss it!
-
Alan's grubby little shunters thread
Galteemore replied to Tullygrainey's topic in British Outline Modelling
That’s just beautiful -
Getting going, finding inspiration--Mosney!
Galteemore replied to Tractionman's topic in General Chat
Now that WAS a railway. So glad I can remember it - so sorry I didn’t enjoy it even more than I did. This will be a great project to see developing. -
Getting going, finding inspiration--Mosney!
Galteemore replied to Tractionman's topic in General Chat
Should be a great ‘watching the trains go by’ layout, especially if set in 1970s-80s period when so much was loco-hauled. Mosney was also the site of a potential ‘might have been’, if that’s not a tautology. Billy Butlin went through a phase of putting old steam locos in his camps as an attraction and a number of UK locos were so saved, subsequently entering mainstream preservation. Butlin was apparently interested in acquiring a VS for Mosney. Just think what might have been…. -
Alan's grubby little shunters thread
Galteemore replied to Tullygrainey's topic in British Outline Modelling
Very elegant solution Alan. Agreed - the fore and aft bolts can cause all manner of issues -
BUT what does it mean ?
-
That Sligo one is terrific. Just wish they could have found a clean tender !
-
Alan's grubby little shunters thread
Galteemore replied to Tullygrainey's topic in British Outline Modelling
That’s looking great Alan, and a nice solution. -
Agreed and the PPs would have looked endearingly like Edward the Blue Engine!
-
S class got it in the 1938-ish rebuilds. The big mystery is why the U class got it (eventually) but the Qs never did!
-
Wasn’t it 1936 that the blue appeared ? The compounds were black when delivered in 1932.
-
One of my recent exhibition favourites was an enormous 009 layout which had a number of stations and one could track a train’s progress around it. Fabulous ly entertaining. I suppose the key thing is that elusive ‘atmosphere’. If a layout has that, sometimes even a sparse train service js enough. It’s all about theatre and staging at the end of the day really. Sometimes it needs a full dress cast and stage scenes to get it right - sometimes a bare stage with two actors in black polonecks can achieve the same effect !
-
Think A15 was 1971 Patrick but can’t check exactly as my books are still mostly boxed up after moving last week…
-
Yes, it’s the kind of layout that has really gone out of fashion, but was once fairly standard. Peter Denny - whose work I have been studying a lot recently - blazed a trail in 1940s Britain by downscaling the concept to EM, and emphasising scenery. As modelling has ‘evolved’ - and as knowledge of actual historic rail operations has faded away - the emphasis has shifted in different directions. I’m just so sorry I missed the opportunity to see Castie Rackrent, which is arguably the best Irish-focused operating system ever built.
-
Thanks Paul. That’s a fab layout. It’s the sort of setup up that I think CJ Freezer talks about - the trains might as well be tennis balls - what matters is getting the block working right, and the rolling stock/scenery are incidental !
-
The tender has probably been used with an S class, as it has the slots for fitting single line tablet collectors on Derry Road trains.
-
That’s interesting. I am working on a blue engine next and noticed that there was a rather pleasing shade of dark blue that appeared in the late 40s/early 50s. Quite how it weathered to the tender’s shade has attracted all kinds of speculation. In his seminal book on loco painting, Ian Rathbone singles out GNRI blue as a colour no one seems to agree on!
-
That’s very impressive @Broithe. Hardly seemed to affect South Oxfordshire at all! I see that Laois continues to lead the way in avant-garde sleeve styling
-
Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus
Galteemore replied to Patrick Davey's topic in Irish Model Layouts
Something mesmerising about those huge wheels. Lovely loco
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)