weathering pens

Rate this question

derek

Question

Hi, just wondering if anyone could recommmend a quick way to weather/ colour track and sleepers. I have quite a bit to do and I cant see myself giving half my life to painting with a fine brush as I have seen on some videos. (Apart from the potential mess, as most of my track is already in place). I have seen Woodland scenics pens but the choices are very limited- rusty rail would be fine but weathered tie is a bit light looking. I was hoping for a dark brown to look a little more like the creosote soaked sleepers of Ireland. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2 answers to this question

All the track on the South Waterford Line is weathered using Woodland Scenics weathering markers. I use rail tie brown for the sleepers and rail brown for the rail. The weathering is done before ballasting. Overall I'm pleased with the result considering how easy it was to do although some grime and oil stains applied with an airbrush would take it to the next level.

20230205_112758.jpg

• Like 6