Have MM changed the supplied sound project on their 567 121 chips?

Rate this question

Sean

Question

Over the past month or so I have managed to get my hands on two different 567 loksounds for my 121 fleet. both were new and sealed in the little plastic shell that they come in.

The first one came from an Irish retailer and i assume may have been a more recent batch. its definitely a 567, Has the irish horn and station sounds as youd expect, no real complaints with this  except the functions do not at all match up to the function list supplied on the MM technical area of the site and idle and run 8 seem to be disabled, although manual notching works good once i worked out where the buttons for it were.

The second one arrived this week from IRM so assumedly its older stock. once again its a 567 and all the relevant irish sounds are there except for this time the function list actually corresponds to the MM technical document.

Interestingly enough the prime movers loaded onto these chips have a considerably different sound. the first one has a longer engine starting and shutdown sequence but i had always found the aux sounds such as compressor, air breaks and break squeal all to be  just too loud and had planned to go in with the programmer to turn them down.

The second one has a much shorter startup and shutdown sound and overall the audio mix seems to be a lot more balanced  with a completely different and less annoying brake squeal. the prime mover also sounds like the microphone was placed differently  and i am hearing a lot more of the throatiness and spit of the exhausts whilst the first chip seems to have more of a geartrain sound and the kinda whine i remembered from my childhood.

the only physical difference between the 2 chips is the code printed on the sticker although im not sure if this actually signifies anything. does it?

Anybody know what might be going on here? would the supplied sound project have been updated by the manufacturer at any point?

despite being weird to me there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong with anything and as a sound engineer this difference in sounds is quite useful to me. Whilst both are unmistakably 567 prime movers, the timbre of each locomotive is considerably different, and in a consist I am not hearing any degradation in sound from destructive phasing, infact as both speakers are recreating a different part of the prime mover they are summing together to provide a much better double heading sound than i had expected. It is very interesting to me.

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

I suspect one version is based on an earlier non-HiFi generic ESU recording and the other one is a later HiFi one as ESU is the manufacturer for these chips for MM and ESU has been continually updating its sound file library. I don't believe either prime mover was actually recorded off an Irish loco, likely just the horn sounds.

• Informative 1