Question about LYONS Container "road number" or "running number"

Rate this topic

MAL

Hi to all

With the kind support of WRENNEIRE (source) and murphaph   (transport) I  recently got 2 different 20' container.

image.png.b1e15485b172401450d2df90cb406496.png

(these are screenshots from IRM shop)

The orange CIE one has a number printed on as also all the keg cages have prototypical different numbers.

The other one, a blue LYONS just has the name on it but no number.

Is this prototypical?

I know IRM does a lot of investigation on the lettering.

Could anyone help and give some prototypical informaton on the IRM LYONS container?

All that Google gives to me are either IRM model images or a linkt to this forum with one picture of an unnumbered LYONS on a 4 wheel container flat.

I can see that one container wear the height info in upper right corner of the door. This would match to the 2 LYONS container of set IRM1067CT-CIEB and prove the excellent work of IRM investigation.

Are these the only 2 20' LYONS that ever existed?

irelan139.jpg

Lyons Tea wagon.jpg

both of this thread:

Thanks to all that might put a light on this.

Edited by MAL

ISO Container data including "running number" is usually displayed on the end door rather than the side of the container.

scan0121.jpg.5dcaaa66665ddeab14c8aa171fcee83e.jpg

The CIE 20' Side Door containers on 4w flat wagons were sometimes used as conventional vans loaded through the side doors at goods yards during the final years of loose coupled goods trains, a number on the side of the container/van would have been helpful to depot staff.

I suspect that the "Lyons Tea" containers were owned by CIE, the containers/wagons in the Inchacore photos (mid 80s) appear to have been in use a 'stores vans" for storing/moving parts between Works and Loco depots.