route feeding track power on DC layout using relays

Rate this question

raymurph

Question

Hello,

I am finally able to begin track laying on my DC layout and I need help wiring the track. I am using ideas developed by Ed Ravenscroft for using points (or turnouts as he calls them) to feed power to tracks and thus cutting down on the number of toggle switches needed to power/isolate blocks. Using a point to power/isolate a block when the power is originating on the common den of the point is easy. However sometimes I will be routing power 'backwards' through a point, that is originating in one of the divergent tracks past the frog. the picture and text I've attached shows what I'm aiming for.

image.png.e9970ac08d1650892e41c94667c3cc40.pngimage.png.1f18f19550ae8643dbadfb56bcd8d0d6.png

Since my electrical skills are very limited I need help choosing components and with the wiring diagram. My vague plan so far is based on the wiring diagram to the right and  to use Seep PM1 point motors to move the points. Then use the switch on the PM1 to signal to a gaugemaster GM500 latching relay to connect the 2 tracks at the common end of the turnout to the 2 tracks of either the divergent or mainline tracks past the frog. Would this work?

2 answers to this question

Stewart Hine wrote about "route feeding of track power" as "Linked Section Control" in Model Railways Magazine during the 1970s, I had tried variants of the system using relays and manual switches on a number of layouts down the years.

I am not convinced that the accessory switch on the Seep PM 1 would be reliable enough to operate the relay.

I use a similar "route-feeding" arrangement using "Blue Point" manual point controllers https://ppw-aline.com/collections/blue-point-manual-turnout-controller using push rod control, on a small end to end layout eliminating the need for section switches or a control panel.

The "Blue Point" has a built in DPDT switch, I use one pole for section control using common return wiring, the second to change frog polarity with live frog points, the power is routed "backwards" through some of the points which are controlled using manual push rods (bicycle spokes)

I use hand held controllers (1 Gaugemaster, 1 custom made) which plug in to DIN sockets on the layout fascia 1 socket for main and 1 socket for yard working.

I will probably use a similar system using the accessary switch on Tortoise point motors http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/tortoise.htm for power routing if I get round to building a new layout.

Blueswitchmachines.jpg.5fdf56198aec4635b3262e995e00134e.jpg

• Agree 1

Thanks Mayner. I have heard the switch on seep pm1 motors is not fully reliable, which is a problem. I like your blue point motors, seem nice and reliable but I'm aiming for remote control. I have thought of tortoise but was hoping to avoid the cost. Having said that I might only  need a small number of them , just for the  'backwards' power routed points .

I suppose I could use micro switches manually connected to the rod of the seep motor to switch the relay. Like the photo you posted for me in answer to a previous question of mine (which I've only now figured out what you meant!)

IMG_3762.thumb.JPG.bd1091ab9c2268036d501fbfd2c639fd.jpeg