Old telly programmes that are worth watching again.

Rate this topic

Broithe

I have a general tendency to not go out on a Saturday, and I've not had a TV since 1983.

The encounter below has me considering running through my Prisoner DVDs again now. 

28 minutes ago, Broithe said:

If you'd used the cue ball, it could be a scene from The Prisoner.

The Prisoner | Rich Coffey Music

25 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

One of my favourite series ever!

Other things that I'm happy to re-watch are:-

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

The Beiderbecke Trilogy.

The Sweeney.

Citizen Smith.

The Avengers.

Whoops, apocalypse!

UFO.

Etc.

Sometimes, I will watch episodes a week apart, like real telly, so you have time to mull it over, like it used to be.

Also, sometimes watching things repeatedly over the years gives you a better view of the whole thing. I've listened to Round the Horne many, many times over the years since it finished and still spot the odd 'new' hidden joke. One was only a few years ago, when I realised that a punchline had two meanings, dependent upon whether you 'heard' a word with a capital letter of a lower case one - this was only given away by one of the laughs you could hear as a result was 'in a different' tone to the others.

Of particular note in The Prisoner is the episode where he thinks he's managed to escape and the first 25 minutes are just him on a raft on the sea, alone. Then he gets 'rescued' and the first words spoken since the start are in German. I doubt you would get away with it now...

• Like 1