Lighting Question

Rate this topic

Murph

Hey Lads, I'm by no way an electrics buff But......... gas lamps with a 3 volt supply ? Is it a case of getting one of those switchable 240v power supplies https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zolt-Universal-Adapter-Household-Electronics/dp/B09DGCJFRC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1JQRKCE79SA5A&keywords=3v+battery+power+supply&qid=1697361937&sprefix=3v+battery+power+supply%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1#:~:text=to zoom in-,Zolt 12W Universal Power Adapter 3V 4.5V 5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V 1A Power Supply AC to DC Universal Adaptor for Household Electronics like Led Strip Light Android TV Box Tablet%2C 1000mA Max,-Visit the Zolt

and putting it on 3v ?   I got street / platform lights i want to work !!  Do I wire in series and just connect 'em to 3v thru above gizmo ??

Any help appreciated........ Sláinte Murph

20 minutes ago, Murph said:

Do I wire in series and just connect 'em to 3v thru above gizmo ??

If you're supplying 3V lamps from a 3V supply, then you should wire them in parallel, so each one gets the 3V. In series, each one, if they are identical, would only have three quarters of a volt across it.

You could wire the four in series and then supply them from a 12V supply, but, if one fails, all four will go out as a result, as there would then be no circuit, and you would have to investigate to find out which one was the culprit.

If you wire in parallel and supply at 3V, then the failure of one will leave the other three running and the failed one will be immediately obvious.