Now Sold. Fully scenicked OO gauge layout professionally built

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

For Sale: fully scenicked, professionally built OO gauge layout. It's only two years old but I need to sell it on. The layout cost well into 4 figures and I would be looking at offers in the region of €850 - but all sensible offers considered!

It's L-shaped, with the main part 1 metre depth by 3m length. The leg of the L (can be used as a fiddle yard but is scenicked) is c.300mm wide by 2 metres long. Plan is attached. Easy to add two more sides for a continuous run.

All buildings, signals, working lights, cars, and people are also included in the sale. Boxes for buildings are available.

The layout is DCC wired, but points and signals are operated by switches on a control box with track diagram. DCC controller included in sale. There is a working turntable and semi-circular roundhouse.

The layout was built in Ireland and would need to be collected from Cork, dismantled into 3 boards, and re-connected at the new location. Some photos attached but more can be supplied if there is genuine interest.

Genuine interest only please - contact via email: meiriongwril@gmail.com

Martin Ball-1.jpg

Layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

layout3.jpg

layout4.jpg

layout5.jpg

layout6.jpg

Layout8.jpg

layout9.jpg

Layout10.jpg

Layout7.jpg

Edited by Martin Ball
price reduced
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 2

Posted (edited)

Few questions-

1- track code

2- curve radius

3- any photos of the fiddle yard? Doesn’t seem to be any here.

4-also wondering about ease of fitting isolating sections, for use with some analogue stock.

Edited by LNERW1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi - in reply:

1. Peco code 100

2. Notes from the designer state 600mm but I'm not sure of that because I think flexitrack was used on the biggest curve

3. 4 more photos added to main post

4 I'm not sure about this as i didn't lay the track myself.

MartinBallRevised2.jpg

Edited by Martin Ball
  • Like 3

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately I don’t think 600mm curves will work with some of my longer stock, but thank you for obliging with the details. I may be back here, but if I’m not, hope it finds a good home.

On 11/5/2024 at 10:58 AM, LNERW1 said:

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately I don’t think 600mm curves will work with some of my longer stock, but thank you for obliging with the details. I may be back here, but if I’m not, hope it finds a good home.

You’ll be grand with 600mm radius curves.

Set-track radii are approx 371mm for R1, then R2 or approx 438mm is the minimum that the manufacturers recommend nowadays, then approx 505mm for R3 and approx 571mm for R4.

600mm would almost be like R5, way above anything else.

• Agree 1

You would think that, but I have a Lima GWR Railcar that I wanted to give a good run, but it will not take any turns. Did some measuring etc and worked out the minimum radius is something like 1100mm! I like it so much I was actually going to buy a whole layout but the radius is 500mm too small! Also I probably would need to convert to isolating sections to allow for control of all my stock, which is analogue atm.

600 mm is just under 24".  I don't know of any proprietary OO/HO rolling stock that would not be very comfortable on curves with that radius. Many of us are constrained for space and can only dream of much better let alone a minimun radius of 1100 mm which is just over 43".   It is likely that there is something wrong with the Lima Railcar you refer to. 

As regards isolating sections, it is easier to install these when laying the track but nonetheless, it should be possible to cut the track  at the desired locations (a Dremel would be useful for this) and inserting isolating track connectors with a little wiggling.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

You would think that, but I have a Lima GWR Railcar that I wanted to give a good run, but it will not take any turns. Did some measuring etc and worked out the minimum radius is something like 1100mm! I like it so much I was actually going to buy a whole layout but the radius is 500mm too small! Also I probably would need to convert to isolating sections to allow for control of all my stock, which is analogue atm.

Lima  stock  should  be able to  run on 1st radius  set track  curves.

Have a look  at  the  motor  bogie  on the  railcar,  does  it  turn  freely?   If not  remove  and  lightly  file/sand  the   opening in the  bogie   frame.  Its  easier  to  do  than   try  and explain  in words.   I have   several  Lima   Locos  and  you  do  get  the  odd  one  where the bogie  can  be  a bit  stiff.   Easy  fix   and  will benefit  from adding  additional  pick ups  is  not  already  done.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

Ok thanks- will try to fix it.

Also maybe leave the rest of the posts to be about the layout?

They are about the layout, specifically how well stock should run on the 600mm curve.

Good luck with the repair!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry, Martin, I think the only reason I was going to buy the layout is gone. Hope it finds a good home. Maybe I’ve learnt a lesson on not being lazy too! Best wishes, hopefully I’ll find a valid reason to buy something off you in the future.