Spray on glue

Rate this topic

derek

Hi lads, just have a couple of questions on "spray on glue", never having used it before. I have always used PVA for scenic work, but using coarse turf, PVA is not really practical. So, first of all - is Woodland Scenics Cement the only option available? ( I see Marks Models are currently out of the stuff). Does it come in a sprayer or do I need to buy that separately?. Applying coarse turf, do I need to spray layout first or apply turf first? Does overspray disappear completely /does glue dry clear? And finally, would watered down PVA in a spray bottle do the exact same job? Lots of questions I know but I do like to get my ducks in a row before I commence. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Derek

• Like 1

Thanks Denis, yeah I know the PVA dries clear but I am putting the turf over a Noch grass mat( different colour) and not covering it completely. The PVA turns the mat a blackish colour , so unless I cover glue completely with turf the discolouration will show. I am really looking for something a bit more versatile., that won't be visible if I don't cover it. I am after a kind of varied, waste ground effect. OK, I realise that sounds as clear as mud🙄 but it's the best explanation I have..............

I've seen people use a watered down PVA spray for a number of stuff on their layouts, might be worth giving it a try to see if it still turns your mat black when it's diluted. If you're very stuck apparently the blue Pritt stick dries clear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In the end I just went with the ol PVA. I dabbed it on with a brush where I wanted the turf, sprinkled on turf ,allowed it to set and then brushed off the excess. And added some foliage etc. too

IMG_20240526_134612.thumb.jpg.13f07dd8681064b01c7fcf943ace99e7.jpg

Edited by derek
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, derek said:

In the end I just went with the ol PVA. I dabbed it on with a brush where I wanted the turf, sprinkled on turf ,allowed it to set and then brushed off the excess. And added some foliage etc. too

Glad it worked out for you, it's looking very nice. You wouldn't even know that it was turning the mat black.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gortalainn said:

Glad it worked out for you, it's looking very nice. You wouldn't even know that it was turning the mat black.

Thanks,  that's because I covered all glued areas with the turf, so glue  didn't show afterwards. 

22 hours ago, RobertRoche said:

Nice ground cover, have you considered misting over the completed scene with more PVA to set it all solid?

No, not really Robert. Think I will just leave it now and move on. Bridges to be built😀. Its solid enough as it is I think

• Like 3

On 27/5/2024 at 7:17 PM, derek said:

That's pretty much the standard way of doing things, though rather than brush the excess away, it is worth putting a handkerchief over the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner to hoover it up and thereby save it for further use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1