Parson,s of Howth.

Rate this question

Guest hidden-agenda

Question

Guest hidden-agenda

Does any body know anything about a company called Parsons of Howth whom i am led to believe built tanks for CIE for the oil wagons.I cant find anything on the net about them and its probably along time gone.

Many thanks in advance of any replies,

Gareth.

5 answers to this question

Yes Parsons Ltd of Howth manufactured some of CIE's freight stock. The first were 27 of the barytes ore wagons in 1968. Then in 1972 came five Burmah oil tankers, and finally 13 ballast hoppers in 1977. Some of the finishing of the wagons was done by CIE at Inchicore. The foundry and siding was there long before 1966, handling imported scrap metal I think. It was disconnected in 1980 although the track remains in situ at the disused site.

Edited by Eiretrains

they also made iso containers as well as wagon bodies at one stage they were looking into importing budd carridges from the usa into europe and had put a tender bid in to provide carridges to cie which was as we know unsuccessful as cie went for derby brel mk 2 instead

I am not sure if Parsons had a foundry they seem to have been more general engineers and structural steel fabricators. The plant was on the up side of the line and behind the platform at Howth Station, the short siding may have been the remains of the Hill of Howth Tramway.

I dont know if it still exists but the plant was later used by Techcrete for producing pre-cast concrete panels.

Apparently the main traffic ws scrap steel an E Class would run as required to Howth also serving the sidings at Sutton I vaguely remember seeing a corrugated wagon loaded with scrap steel in the siding on my first visit to Howth in the early 70s.

John

The think the Techcrete site there closed a couple years back, as the site is nowadays locked up and derelict. You're right, don't know where I got foundry from. The siding did at one time connect to the Hill of Howth tram, as well as Parsons. The trip workings got a mention in the old Irish Railways News publications. It would have been a nice, but elusive, train to photograph back in the day.

Edited by Eiretrains
  • Like 1

eire trains is spot on with his observations ,no foundry though,site was a steel fabricators, wagon bodies hoppers and the like but not cement bubbles whos tanks were built in sweden. beleive iso containers were made there to which were then certified for lloyds by cie at inchicore