20' and 60' Timbers

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Anyone know how many 60' Timber wagons are in play? Do rakes of timber wagon cross paths at any stage on the network? I also witnessed 20' timber wagons (loaded) stabled at Grand Canal Dock at weekends for a time in the early 2000's. I assume originating from Sligo. What was the reason for this? Were they running via the Rosslare line for a time? Maybe remodelling of the North Wall yard was going on and no capacity there to run around? Answers on a postcard please!

2 answers to this question

Anyone know how many 60' Timber wagons are in play? Do rakes of timber wagon cross paths at any stage on the network? I also witnessed 20' timber wagons (loaded) stabled at Grand Canal Dock at weekends for a time in the early 2000's. I assume originating from Sligo. What was the reason for this? Were they running via the Rosslare line for a time? Maybe remodelling of the North Wall yard was going on and no capacity there to run around? Answers on a postcard please!

According to Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE & NIR 3rd Edition 1987 CIE built 40 62' 9" air braked bogie flats 30501-30540 in 1984 so there should enough in circulation

for 3 sets plus some maintenance spares.

On weekends Freight trains from the Sligo and Belfast lines to the South & West usually ran to the Boston Yard (Pearse Coaching) to run round as the North Wall usually closed on Saturday afternoons.

Besides timber bulk cement trains from Platin to the South ran over the Loop line to the Boston Yard on Saturdays.