Chance of railfreight in Sligo?

Rate this topic

201bhoy

The 201s don't come into the equation as the ones still in service are required to cover Enterprise and Cork services... its the 071s that handle the vast majority of freight workings.

Anyway, the weight restriction was lifted before the Sligo timber ended. There are rumours of it returning, but nothing ever seems to come of it, and last I heard, the freight spur in Sligo had been disconnected, which suggests IÉ aren't expecting anything to head into that area any time in the near future. At this stage, I'd be surprised if any Sligo driver is still current on 071s.

It's a pity because I miss seeing liners, timber and oil trains rumbling through Longford station... and even more so, I miss liner trains dropping off and picking up containers in the yard here.

Edited by Garfield

The 201s don't come into the equation as the ones still in service are required to cover Enterprise and Cork services... its the 071s that handle the vast majority of freight workings.

Anyway, the weight restriction was lifted before the Sligo timber ended. There are rumours of it returning, but nothing ever seems to come of it, and last I heard, the freight spur in Sligo had been disconnected, which suggests IÉ aren't expecting anything to head into that area any time in the near future. At this stage, I'd be surprised if any Sligo driver is still current on 071s.

It's a pity because I miss seeing liners, timber and oil trains rumbling through Longford station... and even more so, I miss liner trains dropping off and picking up containers in the yard here.

I thought the 201s and 071s recieved equal weighting in freight workings? There always seems to be more 201s than 071s when I go to Ballina, but maybe that's just luck. And was the weight restriction not lifted this year just? Because the first 201 was in Sligo in Ferbruary, and I thought that was to test the refurbishment on the Ballasadare vridge before the weight restriction was lifted? Also, do you have any pictures of the gantry crane in Longford? I have an interest in container cranes, and I could only find one of Longford!

I thought the 201s and 071s recieved equal weighting in freight workings? There always seems to be more 201s than 071s when I go to Ballina, but maybe that's just luck. And was the weight restriction not lifted this year just? Because the first 201 was in Sligo in Ferbruary, and I thought that was to test the refurbishment on the Ballasadare vridge before the weight restriction was lifted? Also, do you have any pictures of the gantry crane in Longford? I have an interest in container cranes, and I could only find one of Longford!

Most freight workings I come aross are 071 hauled. 201s have made it to Sligo long before the one in February of this year... never in revenue-earning service, though.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the Longford gantry, but it was built to a standard Liebherr design.

The 201s seemed to cover most IWT trains up until recently with 071s covering everything mostly. I'm guessing the 201s are used because the IWT liners are heavier, usually fully loaded with two tanktainers loaded onto one LX wagon whereas on the DFDs liners a lightly loaded train is not unusual and there is usually one tanktainer per LX wagon when there are any.

There is talk of rail freight returning to Foynes but I don't know much about it.

The 201s seemed to cover most IWT trains up until recently with 071s covering everything mostly. I'm guessing the 201s are used because the IWT liners are heavier, usually fully loaded with two tanktainers loaded onto one LX wagon whereas on the DFDs liners a lightly loaded train is not unusual and there is usually one tanktainer per LX wagon when there are any.

There is talk of rail freight returning to Foynes but I don't know much about it.

Yeah, I heard they were building a new deep water port there and that the branch might be reopened. Also heard about potential liners to Cork and Portlaoise, but that probably won't happen :( I agree with you, always seemed to be more 201s at Ballina than 071s on the IWT liners!