Why type of varnish is best?

Rate this question

David

Question

Hi Guys,

I'd be interested to hear what kind of varnish you guys use for sealing your models? I've been using and aerosol from the Games Workshop for years but it occasionally causes fogging or cloudiness on the model. I'm pretty sure this is due to moisture condensing in the spray so I heat both the model and the car before and during use but it sometimes still fogs up.

What kind of varnishes do you guys use and would you recommend applying with and aerosol or airbrush?

Cheers in advance!

11 answers to this question

I've used a humbrol acrylic matt spray varnish, but it gave a rough finish and tends to go cloudy, and if the varnish gets in contact with enamel paint it just frosts instantly.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or are these common problems?

Bear in mind that maybe not everyone has these problems, so it could be I have a dodgy can?

Edited by Dunluce Castle

I use the Humbrol Acrylic satin varnish to seal weathering and the paint on airfix aircraft I build and i find it works well. However be careful with the amount you spray on as too much can slightly curl decals. However I cannot vouch for the Matt Acrylic nelson mentions, it may be different to the satin one

Thanks Nelson. What kind of problems do you have with the acrylic one?

Using acrylic varnish on enamel paint isn't a good idea - I ruined one coach that way! The paint puckers up and peels off - a horrible mess. I am told (though haven't tried it) enamel varnish on acrylic is OK. I use enamels still for both paint and varnish.

Colm

I Brush it on using a daler brush (blue handle) and varnish does not need to be thinned as it is thin anyway,these brushes can be purchased in the art section at easons. Colin.

Interesting idea in brushing it on. I never thought of that. Thanks Colin!

I Brush it on using a daler brush (blue handle) and varnish does not need to be thinned as it is thin anyway,these brushes can be purchased in the art section at easons. Colin.

Interesting idea in brushing it on. I never thought of that. Thanks Colin!