DCC Decoders for Murphy 141/181 Diesels

Rate this question

FrankS

Question

Hi all,

I now have (or soon will have) 6 Murphy Models 141/181 Diesel Locos.

I understand that these have a 21-pin decoder socket.

Can anyone please tell me what is the recomended PlugmPlay decoder & harness and where can I get it ?:confused:

Is there plenty of room in the loco ? I like TCS decoders from the USA but want to make sure it will fit in.:((

NB - Ordinary decoders NOT sound.

Thanx,

Frank Savery

10 answers to this question

simple to fit once you have the body off, I think its better to go with one without the harness as fits directly onto the pins in the loco.

I would agree, a harness would get in the way with the limited space inside the narrow body.

Here's a TCS 21 pin without a harness, should do the job.

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4721

I recently picked up another 141 and decided to just put a non-sound decoder in it. (My other 3 141s are all DCC sound chipped.)

I ended up using a Hornby Sapphire that I had lying around, works fine.More expensive than the Bachmann, but I think it has a few

extra programming features.

You will have no problem fitting a TCS decoder into the 141/181 with or with out a harness. I've just fitted an 8 pin sound decoder/8 to 21 pin converter and a bass reflex speaker for a site member a very tight squeeze and some modifications were needed to the body and chassis but its all in there. All my own 141/181's use a 8 - 21 converters and decoders with harnesses I don't use the Bachmann decoders as they don't support CV 19 so no good for double heading unless you give both locos the same address.

Hi Frank

Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts in Aus is a TCS dealer,it might be cheaper and quicker delivery.

If you still looking for a DCC system , I would strongly recommend the NCE Powercab which is fully expandable. Big Plus is that the Powercab it is Fully MNRA compliant.Have a look at their web site.

Regards

Joe

Guest hidden-agenda

Gone be the days when you bought a Hornby set and put the two Ever ready batteries ( remember the ones with the big spring contacts ) into the plastic controller and away you went.

Edited by hidden-agenda

Gone be the days when you bought a Hornby set and put the two Ever ready batteries ( remember the ones with the big spring contacts ) into the plastic controller and away you went.

Great days okay but now we have Murphy Models 141's , 201's and now even better days with more choice LOL

Enjoy your day,

Regards

Joe

Guest hidden-agenda
Now your just showing everyone how old you really are. =))

Hello Joe and Anto your catching up with me.=D