Das modeling clay

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Hi guys

I was inspired by Aussie Phil's Bord na Mona layout to try some scenic buildings using Das modeling clay. I've drawn up a couple of templates of side walls, say for a small goods shed. I've rolled and cut the clay to size, and cut some windows in, and then set aside to dry for the past 3 days at room temperature. After 3 days it's dried solid, and taken on the white colour, ready to carve some details in.

Unfortunately it has shrunk quite considerably! My dimensions are at least 5% out now! Any tips on how to use this product? Should I fix it to a timber or plastic shell of a building and lay it over?

1 answer to this question

In the old days there used to be such things as Pattern Makers' Rules - these were available in various degrees of "contraction", depending upon the material being cast - they were a few % over-size, so that the casting made from a pattern constructed with them would shrink to the correct size on cooling. You could make a rule of your own to suit your contraction rate - if nobody has a more sensible solution.