Park Royal Photos of GNR Railcar

Rate this topic

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Connolly station this afternoon and noticed the usual 29's sitting about. It just occurred to me that the dark blue on them is not at all unlike GNR coach or railcar blue; perhaps a slight shade darker. It's important for perhaps younger modellers to be aware that the blue the GNR used on some mainline coaches and railcars was not the same as the famous steam loco blue. The solitary diesel loco, 800, was also painted the dark blue but without any cream areas.

You mean GNR vs. CIE, Jawfin?

CIE used their standard upholstery of the day. Latterly it was a dark grey colour but I think it might have been reddish at at earlier stage - perhaps josefstadt or Mayner might remember?

The GNR had patterned upholstery, second class being (I remember) a grey and reddish pattern, with first having more brown and patterns.

When the GNR fleet was divided between the UTA and GNR, they were eventually changed to those companies' styles. UTA upholstery was common to buses and trains and was mid to dark green with a fleck pattern in yellow and red.

Edited by jhb171achill