Masking tape paint issues

Rate this question

Chevron

Question

So im trying to repaint my second carriage and am failing miserably.

I painted on base coat let dry over night put masking tape on to mark out a line il paint white.

paint the white line and then try pull off the masking tape to reveal a lovely white line but the base coat is getting peeled off the carriage with the masking tape.

Any ideas on how to prevent this?

What preparation should i be doing on the carriage before painting?

9 answers to this question

If you've painted it and let it overnight it should be good enough to work on. Sounds like you're using a decorators masking tape rather than tamiya? Trick I was shown in a P&D shop once. Cut off your masking tape strip, and stick it to the thigh of your trouser leg several times to reduce the tackiness. If there is too much resistance when removing the tape, get a hairdryer and warm up the masking tape and the model. This will reduce the resistance and it should come off easier. Richie.

@ Blaine - Im just using the cheap one from Deals. it worked fine on first carriage but not on second one.

@Ritchie i will give that a shot at reducing the tackiness.

Ok so for stripping off ALL paint off of a carriage what is the best most effective but cheap way to do it ?

@ Blaine - Im just using the cheap one from Deals. it worked fine on first carriage but not on second one.

Ok so for stripping off ALL paint off of a carriage what is the best most effective but cheap way to do it ?

Theres your problem - Never skimp on paint and prep - Tamiya masking tape all the way. Marks Models in Dublin sell it

You dont necessarily have to remove the old paint. Get a can of Halfords plastic primer, give it a blast and see how it looks then. Failing that paint stripper or brake fluid. Always do a test run with a cotton bud first though, could dissolve the plastic

Just got a tip about using ordinary document tape which is much cheaper. This advice comes from an very experienced modeller in Sweden. I haven't tried it yet as i only got the advice a few days ago but want to share it.

Never heard of document tape .. time to do some goggle fu