3.5 inch Hornby Rocket Static Model

Rate this question

murrayec

Question

Hi All

I picked up a Hornby Rocket Static Model kit last week at the Stillorgan Show, I plan to Live Steam it and have trawled the internet for photos and info- found loads but some things I cannot find;-

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

1. A copy of the Live Steam instructions.

2. Has anyone taken photos of the cylinder steam ports- the static model does not have these drilled out, I have worked out the approx set-up but it would be nice to know I'm on the right track. This may also be indicated in the instructions?

3. Has anyone got photos of the piston parts- these parts are not included in the static kit!

The kit;

SR-01 IMAG1894.jpg

The offending cylinders with no ports;

SR-02 IMAG1895.jpg

Thanks if you can help

Eoin

4 answers to this question

On the Stephenson's Rocket Model;-

Nelson;- it would be great to see any photos you have, but its the inside bits I require if you ever took it apart and photographed it....

This is the idea I have on drilling out the steam chest and cylinders;-

The first image shows the cylinder assembly from the instructions, note there are 4 holes shown along the centre line of the chest port face which are not drilled out on the kit, also a longitudinal steam way will be required to be drilled out also (I indicate this on my sketch of the side view with dotted lines)

SR-03.jpg

The second image is my sketch as to how I reckon the system needs to be modified, but not to sure! pity the instructions don't show the cylinder port face

SR-04.jpg

If these sketches mean anything to anyone I would be interested to hear what you think

Thanks

Eoin

That dates back to 1979 at least, and it was a bold venture for Hornby at the time. I think the list price back then was about 200 quid. There were matching S&D coaches to go with it, and they had opening doors. Can't remember list price of those, but £43.50 each sticks in my mind for some reason.

Rocket and its coaches were still in the catalogue for 1981, but I don't remember seeing them after that year.

Hi

There is a hand written date on the instructions- 7-4-1982

In my search I read that Hornby employed an outside company to build the models and Hornby added their name. I'd say they regretted in the end because a lot of people experienced trouble running them- steaming problems, gas container and seals perishing, and it was constructed 4mm to small of 3.5inch gauge!

Not sure but I reckon the static model idea was to recoup...

Eoin