What colour?

Rate this question

Ray1964

Question

3 answers to this question

Precision paints do a decent sleeper grime enamel pot, though as with all such things, it is really important to try and model a specific location, because not all track is the same colour. Areas where locos stand will have oily deposits [try Humbrol Metalcoate Gunmetal and Precision Tarmac], while the entry to a station platform is likely to have lots of brake dust deposits [like rust, so try weathering powders to simulate. Likewise ballast, it is rarely uniform and even when well maintained is unlikely to be look representative if only a single colour is used. Study the prototype and do not be afraid to mix colours to get the effect you want. Also, check the size of the granules too. On the modern scene, ballads is formed of quite large pieces, but for earlier times I find going down a scale works well - so try 2mm ballast for 4mm scale & 4mm scale for 7mm etc. In N gauge, sand can be better. Woodlands stuff looks best to my eye, though tis all in the beholder I guess.