GNRi Footbridge

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

To create a scenic break I am scratchbuilding a footbridge to run across the platforms at Omagh. This construction is quite easy to do from plasticard, corrugated plastic and platicard strips to resemble the iron work. The criss-cross angle iron is quite unique and I was wonder what width these strips should be approx.

3 answers to this question

Hi the criss cross lattice parts are known as "Bars" the ones that decends from left to right are 6ft long 5 inches wide. The bars that decend from the right are same length it the bar it's self is same but is it's made from two 3inch L channels forming a T shape .

This swaps over halfway across the bridge the bars cross each other at 3ft 6 inches and start 2ft 8 inches apart at the top and base.

the lattice is 6ft from top to bottom.

A full colour laminated A3 GNR drawing is available from the IRRS @ €10 Tuesday night's Heuston Station

Thanks for that.

Here is one of only two colour pictures I have of the footbridge in Omagh. Would I be right in saying that the ironwork on this bridge was green and that the corrugated panels cream thats been weathered.

Any other comments welcome

GNR124.jpg

I've decided not to use my modellers liberty and bring the footbridge forward, so its been scrapped. Bringing the footbridge closer also requires me to scratch build the water storage tank and gentleman toilet. I built these on another layout 30 years ago so we don't need to go there again. Instead, I'm staying on plan and doing the North road bridge (in low profile) and then focussing on point control. Once thats out of the way, i'll ballast the track. No more buildings, then set some cash aside for GNRi wagon stock.