DCC decoders with old Athearn motors?

Rate this question

David

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm sure there are some guys here who have fitted decoders to Athearn SD9 and SD45 chassis/motors. Is there any specific decoder that anyone recommends or are they fairly accepting of most decoders?

Thanks in advance

David

11 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

I'm sure there are some guys here who have fitted decoders to Athearn SD9 and SD45 chassis/motors. Is there any specific decoder that anyone recommends or are they fairly accepting of most decoders?

Thanks in advance

David

I have'nt fitted decoders to the chassis' you've mentioned but I've hardwired decoders to a few locos. The main thing is that you make sure the model runs well on DC before fitting any decoder. If it runs well on DC then it should be fine for DCC regardless of the make of decoder.

I would stear clear of Hornby decoders though!

Thanks for your advice guys. I saw that youtube video. I think he uses a digitrax decoder.

Anto, do you think one of the trainsave decoders would do that job? What decoders have you got in your athearns?

Cheers

I'm assuming that your Athearn SD9 has a MIR 071 body fitted to it if so I use a Digitrax DN135D its a great little decoder and has a lot of lighting effects and unlike the Hornby/Bachmann decoders you have a lot of CV's to finally adjust the motor. But most of all it is small in size and therefore you should not have a problem fitting it into the body of the 071 as there ain't much room left with the athearn chassis. It also comes as a wires only decoder and its what I would recommend for your SD9 and SD45.

Here's the link

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=459_182_394_212&products_id=2861

Edited by Anthony

I'm detailing Lima 201s and giving them a re-engine with some Athearn SDs I had lying around. Works well on DC and has tons of power but in the process of converting stock to DCC so just thought I'd check with you guys to make sure it's not a massive waste of time!

Cheers for the Link Anto!