Railway history in the garden.

Rate this topic

RANGERMOUSE

At the bottom of our garden was a washing line. It was made of 3 posts. The posts were sleepers from the Cavan and Leitrim Railway that my ever "resourceful" Granddad "liberated" when the line closed. 3 railway sleepers was overkill for a washing line. The line itself was cable that he also "liberated" from an old phone line. Only one of the posts remains now. Granddad was an old Devil :ph34r:

SAM_3439.jpg

Just had a look again and removed some of the ivy. You can see the groove and the wholes where the spikes were hammered in. It is definitely not a C&L sleeper as I measured from the groove to the ground and it's nearly 5 ft. It may have been hard to see the size with no scale so I've included the measuring tape too. Our nearest Broad Gauge line is the Sligo line 5 miles away with Dromad being the closest station. The washing line was there long before I was born and it was my Dad who told me they were from the "Narra Gauge" as he calls it. Clearly my Granddad was even more enterprising then we realised.

SAM_3446.jpg

SAM_3454.jpg

SAM_3453.jpg

It's just under 5 ft from where the tape is on the bottom photo to the ground. There are no grooves or spike marks at the 3 ft point. I would say if i did a bit of digging the groove would be just under the surface. Would 4 ft 6 be a standard size sleeper for Narrow Gauge? I'm 5 ft 6 and it never occurred to me as the sleepers were taller than I am that they weren't Narrow Gauge. Just goes to show that as kids we take what our dads tell us as gospel.