Wagon Underframes

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

Wagon underframes in Ireland were, for the most part, quite different to those in Britain. That is until the arrival of the GNRI cement vans and the CIE palvans, both of which appeared to run on very British looking underframes. The question is, did these modern day Irish vans have RCH brakes, where the brake lever only operated the brakes on the same side or did they have Morton brakes, where the brake lever applied the brakes on both sides. I ask because it’s a detail to get right when converting British vans into Irish ones.

Stephen

2 answers to this question

13 hours ago, StevieB said:

Wagon underframes in Ireland were, for the most part, quite different to those in Britain. That is until the arrival of the GNRI cement vans and the CIE palvans, both of which appeared to run on very British looking underframes. The question is, did these modern day Irish vans have RCH brakes, where the brake lever only operated the brakes on the same side or did they have Morton brakes, where the brake lever applied the brakes on both sides. I ask because it’s a detail to get right when converting British vans into Irish ones.

Stephen

The GNR (I) cement vans and CIE pallet wagons had RCH style brakes similar to unfitted BR Mineral Wagons and older tank wagons, i.e. the lever operated the brake shoes on one side only. The most noticeable spotting feature are the double V irons on each side and the absence of a cross shaft and Morton clutch. 

• Informative 1