replacing MM Cravens wheels

Rate this topic

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

Greetings fellows.  I have an Irish layout underway, so expect more posts from me.

Now then, I have a smashing rake of MM Cravens.  However, particulalry on the Snack Car the wheels can best be described as 'not round' and the coach does a merry jiggle as it lollops along the line.  Not a good look!

Can anyone suggest decent replacement wheels that will actually fit?

I used  up my month's quota of swearing on modding the coupler pockets* to take the KD #20s...

20190318_134207.thumb.jpg.7c1f3f6ff3e5ead7c457a8bd19e335ee.jpg

20190318_134147.thumb.jpg.c5e9b4f5b7ba07fc643b7750a92a5c87.jpg

* not on the Snack Car, thanks heavens... MM fixed that little issue

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 3

Hi Doctor Gerbil-Fritters. The problem with wobbling Cravens in the past was not wheels but the way the bogie connected with the body. This caused a serious wobbling occilation when running. The newest release of the Snack Bar had this problem as well as the RPSI Cravens all made by the same factory. I replaced the wheels on one of my wobbling RPSI BLue’n’cream livery Craven but it made no difference. Murphy models released a fix through retailers which was a sprung brass shim that fitted between the bogie and the coach body underfloor. Marks Models have a stock of these shims. I made my own spacer washers out of very thin plastic card (ie like thin washers). The original production batches of MM Cravens did not have this problem. It should be an easy and inexpensive fix. FYI, I popped the bogies off my wobbling RPSI Coaches and rolled them along straight track sections but the wheels ran true without wobbling the bogie. If wheels needed for any project  I’d recommend Alan Gibson wheels  

Nice photos BTW. I really like my MM Craven set. 

Noel

ps. Looking forward to more posts as your layout develops. 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1