W J Owens

Rate this topic

Noel

W J Owens 41 Main Street Bray, Sadly closed about 15 years ago due to Willie's retirement, but it its heyday was a mecca for photographers and modellers alike. Bray lost its soul when this famous family business closed its doors. Did quite a line in Tri-ang Hornby, Hornby and Lima in its day, but it was Ireland no 1 model shop for RC model aircraft. RC modellers made pilgrimages there from all over the country. Bought my first airfix there in about 1968 and my last RC Petrol 60cc Zenoa motor there also. Also a good source for dark room chemicals, papers, film and equipment. A true hobby shop. I remember the WW2 sounding air raid siren Bray fire station used to use to call volunteers to the station in the era before bleepers and cell phones. I remember Mr Owens Snr, and in the latter years Willie and his brother in law Sean manning the counters. Such model shops were treasures of the past.

WJ_Owens_Bray.jpg

Photo from Bray Heritage FB site.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/wj-owens-shuts-doors-one-last-time-27613330.html

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, DERAILED said:

A great shop  for Airfix soldiers and stacked from floor to ceiling with exciting goodies for boys of all ages. I also brought my first SLR there on the 14th June 1982 and christened it the next day on my first trip on the North Kerry weedspraying train.

Wow Snap, 🤙 also bought my first SLR there a Nikon FG which I still have, don't remember the exact date but it was about 1983. A decade earlier, also used to buy and paint 1/32 airfix soldiers and play all manner of war games with them with school pals. We had all manner of playing systems sometimes involving marbles, flicking match sticks, elastic band catapults, etc, battle fields all over the floor using socks and jumpers for terrain and trenches. An era before LCD screens when kids were outdoors, chimed trees and made stuff with their hands using any scrap materials available.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1