Raised platform

Rate this question

DART8118

Question

Asking for help.

During the lockdown there was a photo posted here on the forum that showed rolling stock (I can't recall if it was loco, coach or goods) with a timber raised platform in the foreground.  I have a mental note that it was at the Boston Sidings and despite keyword searches of the forum for Boston, sidings, DSER I can’t find it again.  Any help with a link to it or a new posting would be great.

5 answers to this question

I found it.  It wasn't on this forum it was in the current IRRS Journal.

It's a 1948 photo taken at the Boston Sidings south of Westland Row station (photo © J. McCarthy Robbins – IRRS collection), Vol. 29. June 2020. No. 202, p65 and I have this crop from it.

image.png.27f53a22d265f055742ead985002500d.png

Would appreciate any information about the raised platform, particularly its height.  Also, were there any ties to the supporting frames at ground level  – longitudinally or horizontally.  Was there any kind of ‘foundation’ that the posts or step stringers sat on?   At walkway level, there is a pole left of post 3.  What’s that?

Many thanks in advance.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:06 AM, DART8118 said:

despite keyword searches of the forum for Boston, sidings, DSER I can’t find it again

I find searches on this site to be difficult. Sometimes it seems like definite keyword in something I'm lookin for are not found. Of course recollection can be faulty and one needs to be on the correct forum to start but it often seems that keywords are not really searched within the text body although titles may be better

Thanks Controller.  I've no issue with the keyword search.  Always seems to work fine for me and it returned loads of hits when I searched that time.  It just didn't find what I was looking for, simply because it wasn't there.  

Any info on the main questions of my posting?

Thanks Controller.  That's what I thought but I believed it a bit low.  A real case of Mind the Gap.  So, 3ft top of rail to top of platform and another foot to underside of sleeper level.  Now, if I could only find out what that pole on the platform is.