Which EMD engine sound?

Rate this question

murphaph

Question

So as we know, the 141s equipped with 567 engines were upgraded with the power assemblies from the 645 engine series. 

So what sound is broadly closer to the upgraded prototype? An 8-567 or an 8-645?

Please note I'm aware that later on several 141s received actual 645 engines. I'm specifically talking about the 567s with the 645 power packs/assemblies though.

If anyone knows of a particularly suitable Loksound 4 or 5 file for these upgraded 141s I'd appreciate a pointer.

4 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, murphaph said:

So as we know, the 141s equipped with 567 engines were upgraded with the power assemblies from the 645 engine series. 

So what sound is broadly closer to the upgraded prototype? An 8-567 or an 8-645?

Please note I'm aware that later on several 141s received actual 645 engines. I'm specifically talking about the 567s with the 645 power packs/assemblies though.

If anyone knows of a particularly suitable Loksound 4 or 5 file for these upgraded 141s I'd appreciate a pointer.

Wasn't the original modifications purely the pistons and piston liners for reasons of parts standardisation rather than the engines themselves?

If I am correct with that, then it would still be a 567 "under the hood" so to speak so I don't think those alterations would change the engine sound as such, the idle and max revs would be still those for a 567 engine so that difference from a 645 would still be there.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Exactly, EMD calls the pistons & liners "power assemblies" according to Wikipedia. I've also seen the term "power pack".

Well then, surely if it's just pistons and liners that's not really changing the basic engine, so wouldn't the 567 sound still apply in the main?