Galway Liveried Mark 2D Coaches

Rate this question

captainelectra

Question

I wonder if anyone is able to provide me with more details of the Irish Rail Galway-liveried Mark 2s? I am currently working on vinyl overlays for the Mk2s in OO and N and would like to get these 100% correct.

Particularly interested in coach numbers, set formation and any close ups of the Information stickers with seating details, etc.

This is what I have so far. The windows will be clear on the production version and fit the Airfix / Dapol / Hornby Mk2D.

Galway.jpg.34c0a576796f0d4831288fa67c9b6092.jpg

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, captainelectra said:

I wonder if anyone is able to provide me with more details of the Irish Rail Galway-liveried Mark 2s? I am currently working on vinyl overlays for the Mk2s in OO and N and would like to get these 100% correct.

Particularly interested in coach numbers, set formation and any close ups of the Information stickers with seating details, etc.

This is what I have so far. The windows will be clear on the production version and fit the Airfix / Dapol / Hornby Mk2D.

Galway.jpg.34c0a576796f0d4831288fa67c9b6092.jpg

They entered service in May 2001 and were among the last 2Ds in service, probably because they were in the best condition.

No Composites, ex-Composites or ex-Firsts were treated.

The vehicles were first used mixed in with un-refurbushed vehicles, the first dedicated set made entirely of these was launched on the 23rd July 2001.

The cost for the 8 vehicles was IR£800,000 (€1m)

The set went into the link:

0520 Galway-Hueston

1100 Hueston-Galway

1510 Galway-Hueston

1905 Hueston-Galway

Vehicles treated were:

5601 - Gen Van

5411 - Kitchen Buffet Standard

5209*, 5213, 5216, 5225, 5232*, 5233, 5235 - Standards

*5209 and 5232 were not completed until September 2001

The refurbishment included bodywork corrosion treatment, and 'stick-on' roof, new carpets/seats/curtains/tables/toilet fittings and externally of course a new livery similar to that originally carried by the 201 Class.

(Information can be found in IRRS Journal no. 146, October 2001)

Edited by hexagon789

After a period they could end up mixed in with standard sets, I've a pic somewhere of 5233 attached to the back of a Rosslare to stengthen the regular 6+van set for a hurling match. Seen them mixed into Sligo sets too. 

The upholstery had a sort of lilac hue (very briefly considered retrieving the seats when we stripping parts for preserved Cravens back in the day as @mphoeymight recall). I quite liked them.

Edited by Niles

16 minutes ago, Niles said:

After a period they could end up mixed in with standard sets, I've a pic somewhere of 5233 attached to the back of a Rosslare to stengthen the regular 6+van set for a hurling match. Seen them mixed into Sligo sets too. 

The upholstery had a sort of lilac hue (very briefly considered retrieving the seats when we stripping parts for preserved Cravens back in the day as @mphoeymight recall). I quite liked them.

There was a photo shared within another thread on here where an otherwise all 'Galway' set had a normal EGV at the front and an ex-Composite on the rear irrc breaking up the harmony of the colour scheme 

• Like 1