Bulleid's Turf Burner - the sequel

Rate this topic

grandad

And now for something completely different: a model of CIE No. CC1, generally known as the Turf Burner, was a prototype 0-6-6-0 articulated steam locomotive designed by Oliver Bulleid to burn turf (an Irish term for peat used as fuel) and built at CIÉ's Inchicore Works in Dublin. CC1 shared some, but not all, of the characteristics of Bulleid's previous attempt to develop a modern steam locomotive, the Leader. Like the one completed Leader, CC1 had a relatively short career and was never used in front-line service. It was the last steam locomotive to be constructed for an Irish railway. It is scratch built from plasticard on a shortened Lima chassis.

Turf Burner 01 small.jpg

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

Wow!!!!!!! Looks amazing! Very well done.

Those red carriages in the background would look very much in keeping with the Inchicore Test Train, which it hauled when on trial. I've seen coaches like that painted in the older CIE dark green and they look very convincing.

The loco is a masterpiece!

Wow!!!!!!! Looks amazing! Very well done.

Those red carriages in the background would look very much in keeping with the Inchicore Test Train, which it hauled when on trial. I've seen coaches like that painted in the older CIE dark green and they look very convincing.

The loco is a masterpiece!

The carriages are Ratio Midland Non Corridor painted in a Midland darkish red

• 5 weeks later...

Hi from one Grandad to another (there's a clue in my site name!)

That is one excellent piece of modelling - well done.

While I would be the first to adulate the Blessed Oliver, most of the detailed design work was done by Ron Pocklington and John Click - I have given talks on the subject, having met Ron and got the full story.

Ron designed a single ended version, but Oliver was too taken up by the issues of the (awful) British diesels which he had forced on him to be interested in taking an interesting idea forward beyond the CC1 prototype.

Leslie