Jump to content

GSR 800

Members
  • Posts

    2,058
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

Everything posted by GSR 800

  1. More likely we'll get an announcement around the October show, hopefully delivery for Christmas would be my expectation.
  2. Some version of the Bulleid Light Pacific probably would've been a simpler investment than the turfburner! That said, CIE in the 50s really did seem to believe she would be the first in a fleet of turf or oil burning type locomotives, at least until Bulleid retired. I'm hoping they get around to the rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics!
  3. 209 on the Beller this evening. 228 and 208 on shed at Connolly
  4. Maedbh in GSR green would've probably seen most mileage. Maedbh and Macha racked up high mileages in their early years before the "Phony War" ended, coal became scarce and timetables cut back. My guess would be Maedbh in GSR green and Tailte in light green. Maedbh and Macha in dark (FS) green after that. Tailte had a high mileage by 54-55, which is why she was withdrawn first. (She was generally considered the most reliable) Maedbh (GS) and photo grey obviously have barely seen a wheel turn, and Macha in dark green with the light tender would've seen little work.
  5. Some further mulling with the design, now with my waterloo trainshed standing in. My thinking is I could have platform 3 split curve (bit like Mullingar) and be the quay platform for boat/mail trains and the like. I was also thinking I could have a branch off in front of the fiddle yard. But I think I might simplify the plan and keep those two ideas condensed into one, rather than have two branch lines and a main.
  6. They are slightly modified from the Walthers kit "Train Shed with clear roof" Honestly I think they might be too large, I might go with my Waterloo trainshed instead!
  7. Been working on the idea for the track plan over the weekend. Have space for 2 carriage sidings in the middle. Both Platform 1 and 2 can hold 6 carriages and two locos. I considered a run around loop from Platform 3, but I think it clutters things somewhat Not sure about some things, listed in photo below!
  8. Not sure to be honest! But a great many of his plans could easily be utilised with a change here and there to represent an Irish scene
  9. Rice did, I posted his plan (image from David) of Westport Quay above!
  10. I believe Freezer admitted a great many of his plans were effectively impossible in the space dictated, many have curves that are far too tight by modern standards. Actual track standards were also quite different, which is something not always taken into account. I recall one of his plans was redone in a railway modeller article or something similar, they added a good foot or two to length and width. That said I regularly peruse the psl track plan book for ideas. One thing about a lot of Freezers plans is they are quite "packed". Iain Rice took a more "railway in the landscape" approach which looks a lot more natural. Minories however has a pretty sleek look about itself, manages to look every bit the "complex station throat" of an urban terminus while maintaining functionality. I think while my terminus may be Freezer my quays will be Rice! Images posted by @Colonel from Iain Rice's book
  11. This is kinda what I'm thinking, but a regular city terminus with the odd boat train. Galway and Belmulley fought fiercely over the proposal for the terminal I always thought the plan for Blacksod was hilarious levels of overkill. 10 platforms??? Something like Carlisle Pier would surely have been more appropriate. Perhaps with a grander concourse.
  12. I've lots of space for goods sidings in the 'wedge' below the throat. I plan on adding a triangular piece into the corner so the line can veer off ala Galway. The idea is a vague large western city served by the MGWR, so everything from an SLNCR railbus to Western Rail Corridor services would be able to show up. Perhaps this city has had better luck getting liners with their lucrative mail contracts to call there, as Galway desperately tried to achieve.
  13. My plan may include a Galway style freight yard + dock branch as I've the space for it but Galway has a lot of potential as a Minories. Now arguably moreso with new platforms and more intensive passenger operation. Sligo likewise, and plenty of variety. My model will likely have elements of both, some of Broadstone and Mullingar also.
  14. It would, but Minories was of course drawn up long before DCC! The likes of Peter Denny had extensive layouts with interlocking sections where lines were not powered unless they were signalled for it, all DC. He ended up making a electromechanical computer to aid in operation when his son went to college, naming it 'Automatic Crispin'!
  15. The overall idea is an urban terminus loosely in the style of something like Broadstone, Galway or Sligo, with a good amount of passenger workings and freight in off peak. Minories was designed around loco hauled commuter trains (specifically steam hauled) rather than DMUs. The idea of the throat is twofold, allowing all platforms accessed from either road and to eliminate reverse curves, while also providing an interestingly complex looking throat without actually being too complicated. Part of that is the lack of crossovers, the station pilot must release the trapped loco from the end of the platform. That said I may have a crossover line off platform 3 to facilitate shunting.
  16. Did a wee mock up last night to see how things would fit. Ignore the mess! I was thinking a triangular corner piece could be used to have a line leading off toward the pier. Alternatively could have the pier line be goung forward into the wedge. Either way plenty of space for sidings. Could have a run around off Platform 3 with a headshunt off the lower double slip also.
  17. Certainly for Minories, his initial proposal with goods facilities was nothing more than an awkwardly tacked on double tracked goods shed and a headshunt. I think a lot can be done with the space though, very often the empty wedge at the bottom right gets goods sidings, a parcel dock and whatnot. I've also considered a duel level plan with a yard on the lower level, ala Rice.
  18. Newford (Later Littleton) is an O gauge Minories with a carriage siding between platform 1 and 2 Likewise Harlequin has made up some Minories esque plans with 'Daws Lane', one of which includes carriage sidings within. With a bit of extra width you could have 2 carriage sidings between the 2 platforms. I do have some space to have the goods yard angle off ala Galway toward a pier, which would use up a corner space quite effectively. Maybank was the progenitor to Minories style layouts and indeed many modern end to end exhibition layouts generally. The emphasis seemed to be primarily upon operation rather than scenery or locos, rolling stock etc.
  19. Theres an excellent blog that had covered many Minories track plans over the years. https://esngblog.com/2018/02/18/minories-5-more-urban-layouts/ Two pictures in particular caught my eye. The top one has a third 'relief' line. I was thinking this could an out and back branch to a quay. Possibly adding a goods dock combined with the goods shed would not be dissimilar to Galway. The second photo with the track plan has a lot of potential. Classic Minories, plenty of room for freight and one of the sidings could again be a branch off to a quay.
  20. Can always cut back to 5 coaches if necessary, with scenic blocks and whatnot train length can be disguised quite effectively! With the moving of a chest of drawers i can get 15 ft on one side. Ive looked quite extensively at the theories of general minories thread, one of the many gold nuggets on the RMWeb IMO
  21. I've decided after a lot of back and forth to put Mullingar on hold until such time I have enough space for it all without significant compromise. I've decided to cut back to an L shaped end to end urbanish terminus layout based on the MGWR, ideally with a good bit of inspo from Mullingar itself. The two "legs" of the L are just over 12 foot, and both about 2 foot wide, though i can go out to 6 foot toward the end of one of the L legs. Moving a chest of drawers means I could have 15ft one of the legs. I have a turntable pit in the corner of the L. I've long been interested in Cyril Freezers iconic "Minories" track plan. (From Harlequin on RMweb) One aspect I would like to have which the traditional Minories lacks is a decent amount of freight. Freezer added a few "add ons" to Minories which can be seen here. The junction to the freight yard/wharf is very reminiscent of many of the MGWR terminis separate freight facilities. (From RMweb) I like the "idea" of this, but space would be the big factor here. I'm also trying to keep things from getting too large or complicated. Im more than happy to have freight at the terminus itself if it simplifies things and keeps them compact Much of the other half of the L would have to be taken up by the fiddle yard, of course. An 800 and 6 coaches (max length I'd go for) is pretty bang on 6 foot Thoughts would be appreciated!
  22. You can tell they thought A LOT about the visual aesthetic of the outside of the building, and then kind of forget the design means you've a pretty limited square footage, especially in the entrance/concourse area. Interestingly, I remember watching a documentary on the construction of it, one of the designs was to effectively be a glass encased Arrol Gantry spanning the original slipways, which I think would have been much better! Alas, it brings in the tourists regardless. I think they've recently restored Caroline, so hopefully should be good!
  23. Nomadic was definitely worth it for me, try to get the Titanic Centre during off peak times if you can. While its good, I think the internal design in terms of capacity and crowdflow I've found to be poor. There's also HMS Caroline just across the way, the last survivor of Jutland.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use