GSR & CIE carriage colour shades - weathered

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

From an old coach body I knew of, this shows GSR maroon in its weathered state, and earlier (1945-55 + bus + loco) dark green. The other lighter shades of green are undercoat.

IMG_2754 (1).jpg

This represents the later (post-1933) GSR maroon; prior to that it was either brown and cream (not unlike the latest colour scheme on the DCVDR's No. 836) or a much deeper maroon. By CIE days, the "LMS" shade was the norm and it is this, albeit very faded, that is shown. Since the NCC used the same shade of maroon, a weathered NCC coach would have ended up the same. Brake dust on six wheel coach ends would have made it browner. Corridor coaches had black ends and gangways, non-corridor stock had body colour maroon. Brown & cream coaches were all brown or black on the ends depending on whether they had corridors or not. CIE painted ALL coach ends black.

The SLNCR carriages, while initially painted a darker shade of maroon than either the GSR or NCC used, saw a paintbrush so infrequently that their coaching stock not only faded to a shade like that above, but liberally peeled off too!

Edited by jhb171achill

4 answers to this question

I always love your threads regarding liveries, Jonathan, which are always very informative. I believe the ends of the coaches would all have been black in variations of the green liveries and before, and maybe into the black and tan era? However, once we hit the supertrain livery some of the coaches would have had some degree of wraparound of the body color onto the ends, or painted ends, at least initially, (the Mk2ds come to mind.)

Correct, divecontroller, and thank you for your endorsements.

Yes, everything CIE was black-ended in dark green, light green and BnT liveries. The short lived unpainted coaches in the mid 50s had unpainted ends (and roofs and chassis) too. As you say, "Supertrain" era carriages and beyond had "wraparound" liveries, like BR blue did.

The GNR had black ends too. The SLNCR, with no corridor connections, had maroon ends as well as sides.

Correct, divecontroller, and thank you for your endorsements.

Yes, everything CIE was black-ended in dark green, light green and BnT liveries. The short lived unpainted coaches in the mid 50s had unpainted ends (and roofs and chassis) too. As you say, "Supertrain" era carriages and beyond had "wraparound" liveries, like BR blue did.

The GNR had black ends too. The SLNCR, with no corridor connections, had maroon ends as well as sides.

Sorry John,

I disagree with you on this point -

Exception - GNR(I) - GNRI(B) railcars and Blue and Cream Coaches.

The Blue and Cream continued around so that the ends were also Blue and Cream. The exceptions to this rule were those GNR Coaches used in the Royal Train of 1953. These coaches, along with the UTA Stock used in this consist (all of which had been repainted in Blue and Cream for this occasion) had black ends. The GNR stock used for this purpose retained their black ends.