Model makers

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

I am sure I am not the only one who watches the extremely high standards of modelling of the likes of Mayner, ECM Eoin, Messrs Holman and many others here. As others have said, much of what the better modellers here do is not so much modelling as fine engineering.

Unfortunately, not all of us are anywhere near that league - I'm certainly not. Thus, like many, I outsource the more complicated things. 

One such item has been with the maker-up now for several years..... The completion date keeps getting put back and back and back and back. And it's not a cheap thing either, and I've paid for it. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea.  I'll elaborate on that in the future should it be something to warn others of.

So, the question: is there a good list somewhere of who can take on commissions? And, of what type? Some prefer to work with plastic, some brass, some both. And I accept that time doesn't exactly grow on trees when model-makers often have day jobs too, though at the least a realistic timescale should be given on commencement.

Indeed, if anybody is available and in a position to deal with several matters for me, might I ask you to PM me? No harm in asking.....!

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

I think the answer is essentially it's a bit of a minefield, JB.

There are indeed quite a few folk out there who will build stuff for a fee, but from what I hear, price and quality are highly variable, with the former not always a guarantee of the latter. In addition, where locos and coaches are concerned, the paint job can be a further added extra.

Perusing the small ads in the model press may help and from there you could make contact and ask for references. A while ago, a general guide for building a loco kit was around 2-3 times the original price, so a £100 kit would end up as a £3-400 model. While that might seem a lot, £200 to built a kit which may take 50-100 hours is a long way short of minimum wage!

I well remember the look I got when doing a buildings demo at a show a few years ago. The man asked if I did commissions. No was the reply, but when I commented that the locoshed on display represented over 100 hours work, you could see the cogs going round as he worked out it was potentially a £1000 model, even though the materials probably came to less than £20.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1