coupler issue

Rate this question

Geeb

Question

Hey Guys,

its probably a silly question and theirs a simple way of fixing them but as a novice I'm useless and don't want to break anything lol.  Im having problems with the couplers on my Mrk2 craven coaches, they move left to right on a spring mechanism, but i had a derailment and now the coupler has dropped down and to the left and has no spring motion in it any more,  i can kind of see how it works from looking under the other end i can see the springs still attached, is there a way to fix it easy for a novice. the hornby couplers are way more robust but look shit compared to these ones and they don't connect up to each other, again is there anything i can that will connect the coaches, any help and links to videos or parts would be greatly appreciated im having terrible time trying to find coach maintenance videos for the Murphy Model coaches, also i have one corner that the loco decides to stop at, you touch the side of it and it shifts a little on the track and presto it takes off again, i know Irish rails are a smaller gauge to normal rails, is this represented in the 121 or other locos, what is the best track to run these on? , i have a shit ton of peco code 100 flexi track ready to lay (about 34 lengths lefto over now) i could change it if code 75 is better suited for the irish lococs as i really only want an true to Ireland railway with Irish locos from both the steam and diesel days.

Thanks again guys, all you help is greatly appreciated.🤙

8 answers to this question

The video won't play properly for me.

Audio only, just a white screen for the video.

Happens from time to time - somebody mentioned before that Apple or QuickTime uploads are problematic?

Upload the video to YouTube and then share the link here and more people will be able to see what the problem with the couplers is.

• Like 1

The coupler frame has jumped over and behind the 'bedoink' on the side of the underfloor, the coupler frame can be pulled forward against the spring until you have the corresponding 'bedoink's' on the coupler frame ahead of the underfloor ones, use a small screwdriver if needs be to guide them into position. This can be done with the bogie in place.

The 121 is for HO/OO track, check the back to back dimension on the wheel sets- the dim should be 14.4mm approx. If this is OK you need to look at the track- is the curve to tight (2nd radius is the minimum it will run on), does the track need cleaning, is the track damaged...... the most likely one is the track radius.

Eoin

Thanks lads, the link is below @DJ Dangerous hopefully it works now , I actually got it back into place by jiggling it but I see now what you mean @murrayecwith the dedoink, also it probably is the track it’s hornby peco mish mash. Thanks for the tip for the curve radius for the 121 I’ll fix that tomorrow when I’m laying another line. 
I also bought an A Class this evening and picking it  tomorrow, is there any radius they don’t run on so I can lay the track right first time round.