Irish Houses in the Early 1900s - What Colour Paint To Use?

Rate this question

2996 Victor

Question

Hi,

this is a bit of an odd question, but as its from someone "across the water" I hope you'll excuse my ignorance!

For a layout set in Co Galway in the early 1900s, I'd like to know what colour(s) might be used on houses/shops/bars. I'm thinking primarily of rendered buildings, but also limewashed stone (could it have been tinted or was it always white). What about typical colours for doors and windows and their frames?

I believe I read somewhere many years ago (in David Lloyd's writings on his 3' layout, I think) that the colourful buildings stemmed from a Papal visit and was perpetuated.

Many thanks for any help and advice!

Cheers,

Mark

3 answers to this question

One that interests me too. Looking at monochrome pictures, it appears that finish is certainly geographic, with plain stone in some areas, rendered in others and a degree of whitewash in some. Suspect that poorer areas would be plainer too, while there is evidence that not a lot changed until well into the 1950s in some areas.

Feel sure answers will be available before too long.

• Thanks 1

Pope John Paul visited Ireland in 1979? was it, the first papal visit to Ireland, and the practice of giving a colour wash to houses was initiated as a welcoming gesture. In any case, there was very little colour outdoor washes available much before then, anyhow, the practice was justly popular and has become firmly based since then.

if you’re looking at the 1900s, there was just white limewash, no other colours, and otherwise plain brick/ stone finish or cement rendering.

D794CFF7-2B64-43C7-BA5D-31EA7647D7A5.thumb.jpeg.70a28677b7f2d8e19f42a47869573d27.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The colorful buildings are largely as a result of the "Tidy Towns" competition a 1958s Irish Government initiative to improve community spirit and promote tourism. 

The main objective was to improve the local environment with tree and flower planting and painting building https://www.tidytowns.ie/about-us/history/ .

Cement rendering often tended to be weathered and unpainted, its main purpose was to protect the fabric of the building after the brick or stonework became porous as a result of driving rain

Lead based paints used on wood and metalwork tended to be limited to white, cream, brown or dark green.

Green often appears as an undercoat or primer when you strip back old woodwork.

Red or grey oxide, black or unpainted zinc on corrugated iron on farm and industrial buildings.

Tom Rolts  has interesting cometary and photos on Irish villages and towns in the Midlands during the 1940s in "Green and Silver" when he explored the Shannon and Southern Canal Network in a converted life boat.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative 3