Sound chip for class 71

Rate this question

trainboy

Question

Hi,
I just purchased a sound chip from DCkits for my MM 071 loco. When I received the chip it had a detached speaker included in the box and a a square piece attached/wired to the chip. Does anyone here know what the attached square piece is for? The  chip did not come with any install instructions and I know that the Murphy 071 loco already has a speaker installed. See pic below.

thanks, brendan

E03935DD-530C-4AAD-921C-2A65B9405D06.jpeg

7CB010C6-F676-4E46-A5E5-CE039B2A3A0A.jpeg

3 answers to this question

Yep, Dave is right. Just cut the speaker that came with the decoder off and fit to the loco and you're done. The square thing is the speaker+enclosure but the factory fitted speaker in the 071 is probably a better solution. Make sure you don't leave a short by cutting the two wires so close to the decoder that copper strands could splay out and touch each other. If you're skilled with a soldering iron you can just desolder the two wires, again being careful not to leave a short. The safest solution if you're not skilled in this stuff is to cut the two wires at different lengths and then put a bit of electrical tape around each end and tuck the wires somewhere where they can't short against each other or the chassis etc.

• Like 3