The Macroom line

Rate this topic

I’m on the way to Listowel and the traffic outside Macroom is a nightmare. So much so that whole stopped on river lee bridge. I spotted the now drowned river sullinane viaduct. A similar viaduct crossing the river lee is also drowned. Is there any other remains of rail line that can be found underwater?

50B0DEDE-D972-45CF-85EA-A0D0A21A1C1A.thumb.jpeg.4c516efe4b4aa4fe1951c0299a97810b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

None I’m aware of in Ireland - but a stretch of the (Welsh) Festiniog Railway above Dduallt* station was flooded by a new reservoir in the 1950s.

I worked on the track deviation round the lake in the mid-1970s on a construction gang. Thus, in the parlance and history of the Festiniog Railway, I am officially known as a “Deviationist”.

Now, isn’t THAT a great thing to have on your CV?

”Occupation and Work Experience: Deviationist”…….

(* Pronounced by the locals - who are Welsh-speaking - as “Theeee-Acht”. It was always fun watching mere Englanders trying to get to grips with local place names there, as spake by the local slate-mining, leek-chewing, choirs of rugby players…..)

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2