The Kinsale Branchline

Rate this topic

Hello all 

recently I have been giving the green light to prepare a presentation on the Kinsale Branchline for The national monument I work at for this upcoming heritage week.  And while I have a good amount of material to work with at the moment. I suppose this is an excuse to ask if anyone thinks they know or do know a place where more material/photographs on the Branchline closed over 90 years ago 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Hello all 

recently I have been giving the green light to prepare a presentation on the Kinsale Branchline for The national monument I work at for this upcoming heritage week.  And while I have a good amount of material to work with at the moment. I suppose this is an excuse to ask if anyone thinks they know or do know a place where more material/photographs on the Branchline closed over 90 years ago 

If there's anything at all, it's going to be in the IRRS archives. You'd need to set sail for Dublin and speak to Herbie or Tim about access. The archives are normally closed in the summer.

From West Cork, we can give you directions on how to get to Jackeen Land, and how to go through immigration at the Pale border!  😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

From what I can tell, most kinsale stuff has ended up across the pond, naturally with the railways history being intertwined with the British army preseance in the town. Hell even footage on the kinsale branch had survived in someone’s catacombs (last seen 40 years ago!) 

I did find one website that claimed to have kinsale station photos but unfortunately locked behind a paywall with no kind of preview of any sort 

your correct in saying the IRRS would be a fantastic resource to have but my sources tell me they are quite busy at the moment in itself, never mind weather it’s open or not! 

regardless I should have enough material to work away myself regardless of if I find anything new or not 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...