Marks Models now catering for us!

Rate this topic

Dropped into Hawkins street Marks Models last night for a decoder and spotted a basket full of Bowser freight car kits. So picked up a pennsy boxcar to make today. I haven't tried to make a bowser kit before so was keen to see what they're like compared to Accurail, atlas etc. have to say very nice indeed. I added my own kadees and will replace the plastic wheels with metal ones but overall great to see some yank stuff in shops here!

image-3086238479.jpg

image-133326246.jpg

image-2956430026.jpg

That turned out nice Fran, good job. I agree it's nice to see some US models available here, hopefully they might take the plunge and stock some more products. There a lot of people here modelling and interested in US railways.

Rich,

True Rich, I know Seamus was stocking some yank locos back in the good old days (proto 2000, Broadway) and I bought 3 or 4 locos from him. There are rarely freight cars though which is why I was delighted to see these. I'd happily buy one or two a week to keep me busy of an evening. Marks are also selling so US bachmann locos and freight cars but I steer clear of them as they're not great. Very reasonably priced mind you so if they serve as a gateway for people into the US scene then happy days.

True Rich, I know Seamus was stocking some yank locos back in the good old days (proto 2000, Broadway) and I bought 3 or 4 locos from him. There are rarely freight cars though which is why I was delighted to see these. I'd happily buy one or two a week to keep me busy of an evening. Marks are also selling so US bachmann locos and freight cars but I steer clear of them as they're not great. Very reasonably priced mind you so if they serve as a gateway for people into the US scene then happy days.

I believe that US modellers refer to Bachmann as botchmann in the US Fran when it comes to their diesels. Total opposite with the BR outline, thank God. The fact that the kit's come pre decorated is I am sure the best of both worlds for modellers.

Rich,

I believe that US modellers refer to Bachmann as botchmann in the US Fran when it comes to their diesels. Total opposite with the BR outline, thank God. The fact that the kit's come pre decorated is I am sure the best of both worlds for modellers.

Rich,

Yes, they're pretty poor compared to Bachmann's output around the rest of the world. All you have to do is look at UK outline stock, Murphy's 141s, their Chinese outline locos and the American stuff to see the world of difference.

Yes, if there is one thing I cannot stand doing in this hobby and have no hope of doing properly it's painting stock. That's why I admire the work some of the lads do and put on here. They really have great skills. This way i can nail together a simple kit while watching the telly and not have to worry about painting.

Hi Warbonnet,

Glad to be of service, we took this range of wagon kits in from a US distributor together with some Kadee cpouplers and some other products. The market for American is relativly small here and that is the reason we do not stock in any great depth. If there is anything you are looking for drop us an email @ info@marksmodels.com or via the contact us section of our website http://www.marksmodels.com and we can check price and availability for you. Can't guarantee to be able to source everything but this particular supplier we have in the US does quite a bit of railway stuff.

Cheers marks. It's understandable that the market is small but for cheaper items like freight stock and kits it's great to have them on the doorstep. Have liberated four kits from Hawkins street so far, and plan to pick one up on a weekly basis while they're still available. Will have a think about what can be ordered in too. Fair play!