Terminus layout wiring

Rate this question

GSR 800

Question

Posted (edited)

Goodmorning all

Currently building a terminus as part of a larger layout. Not quite sure about wiring it all up. Analogue DC

Track plan is loosely based on Cyril Freezers Hungerford Bridge with some compromise for space.

20240503_101411.thumb.jpg.555191ce64592920ed57e791785cdba5.jpg

Screenshot_20240503_103743_Drive.jpg.87209b0055213ae6991d41c85b2af501.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

4 answers to this question

The basic principal of analogue control with more than 1 controller (Cab Control) is to use either a Double Throw switch or a Rotary Switch to switch control to a section between different controllers.

Some people prefer to set up the Double Throw switches (DT) in a bank on a control panel similar to a lever frame in a signal box, others prefer to locate the DT or rotary switches on a track diagram either on a control panel or a layout fascia.

Traditionally most analogue layouts were wired with a "common return" direct from the track to the controller/controllers with the "live" fed to the controller through a switch, though some modellers prefer to take both wires from a circuit through a Double Pole switch to avoid any potential problems locos bridging a section.

Switches I usually use a Double Throw Centre Off so that power to a section can be turned off with Rotary Switches its a good idea to wire the section through a separate on-off switch immediately below the rotary to avoid 'conflicting movements" if a number of people are operating a layout. 

The diagram shows the basic wiring arrangements to control a crossover using cab control with common return wiring,

The main track feeds are wired through double throw (ideally centre off) switches to either cab. Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) centre off switches are adequate for this arrangement double throw (DPDT) would be used if common return wiring is not used.

An on-off switch wired to the track section can be used to isolate locos on the siding.

As a general rule track feeds are located at the toe end of points, the double slip basically follows the rule effectively being two overlapping points.

Basiccabcontrol.thumb.jpg.c9847aa4fd7ab9d8f30d754ba0956419.jpg

GSR800 what are your plans for controlling points/signals on the layout?

There are other control arrangements that eliminate section switches routing power from the controller using switches operated by  points and signals but requires a lot of detailed planning.

I have a very basic version of this type of "route setting' on Keadue normally one controller controls the main line and the second the yard allowing a train to travel along the main line while a second is shunting the yard, however the yard is switched to the main line controller when a route is set up for a train to run into or out of the year using double throw switches operated by the points.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mayner said:

The basic principal of analogue control with more than 1 controller (Cab Control) is to use either a Double Throw switch or a Rotary Switch to switch control to a section between different controllers.

Some people prefer to set up the Double Throw switches (DT) in a bank on a control panel similar to a lever frame in a signal box, others prefer to locate the DT or rotary switches on a track diagram either on a control panel or a layout fascia.

Traditionally most analogue layouts were wired with a "common return" direct from the track to the controller/controllers with the "live" fed to the controller through a switch, though some modellers prefer to take both wires from a circuit through a Double Pole switch to avoid any potential problems locos bridging a section.

Switches I usually use a Double Throw Centre Off so that power to a section can be turned off with Rotary Switches its a good idea to wire the section through a separate on-off switch immediately below the rotary to avoid 'conflicting movements" if a number of people are operating a layout. 

The diagram shows the basic wiring arrangements to control a crossover using cab control with common return wiring,

The main track feeds are wired through double throw (ideally centre off) switches to either cab. Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) centre off switches are adequate for this arrangement double throw (DPDT) would be used if common return wiring is not used.

An on-off switch wired to the track section can be used to isolate locos on the siding.

As a general rule track feeds are located at the toe end of points, the double slip basically follows the rule effectively being two overlapping points.

Basiccabcontrol.thumb.jpg.c9847aa4fd7ab9d8f30d754ba0956419.jpg

GSR800 what are your plans for controlling points/signals on the layout?

There are other control arrangements that eliminate section switches routing power from the controller using switches operated by  points and signals but requires a lot of detailed planning.

I have a very basic version of this type of "route setting' on Keadue normally one controller controls the main line and the second the yard allowing a train to travel along the main line while a second is shunting the yard, however the yard is switched to the main line controller when a route is set up for a train to run into or out of the year using double throw switches operated by the points.

Hi John,

I suppose my main concern is with one controller controlling the up line, and one the down line, how that factors once it reaches the terminus, itself, along with powering double switches and the like. If I have two trains 'out and about' running on the up and down lines, I would presumably require a third control to work the terminus yard. When one of those trains comes to the termini, the route will have to be 'handed' to the controller of the train.

I am likely to go with manual control for the points. I have seen the likes of Buckingham Central's intricate method of isolating using signals and points. An ingenious system but I am no automatic Crispin!

• Like 1

Hi Harry

Track layout looks impressive!

Rotary switches mounted on a track diagram is probably the simplest and most effective if you are using more than two controllers.

I used a similar system on an N Gauge American layout in Ireland before converting to DCC about 20 years ago and on a Club HO American layout, I would recommend a separate on-off switch between the rotary switch and the track because the track could become live and a loco move if another operator was running a train while you were turning the switch changing power to another controller. The second switch corresponds roughly with a coding switch beneath a route setting switch on an old style American CTC panel. 

I used Lorin type rotary switches mounted behind the track diagram operated by a small hand knob. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/rotary-switches-guide

As you seem to be using Insulfrog points there is no need for an ancillary switch connected to the point to change frog polarity. I use "Blue Point" controllers for both to change the frog polarity and switch power to the yard between the Main Line and Yard Controller on my Keadue layout, bit only really works where there are a maximum of two controllers. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/rotary-switches-guide

Rotaryswitchwiring.jpg.05b8566ddc882bb51c0540cda41180e8.jpg

Biggest challenge was wiring up the multi connectors between the layout and control panels-track diagrams.

• Informative 2

40 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Hi Harry

Track layout looks impressive!

Rotary switches mounted on a track diagram is probably the simplest and most effective if you are using more than two controllers.

I used a similar system on an N Gauge American layout in Ireland before converting to DCC about 20 years ago and on a Club HO American layout, I would recommend a separate on-off switch between the rotary switch and the track because the track could become live and a loco move if another operator was running a train while you were turning the switch changing power to another controller. The second switch corresponds roughly with a coding switch beneath a route setting switch on an old style American CTC panel. 

I used Lorin type rotary switches mounted behind the track diagram operated by a small hand knob. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/rotary-switches-guide

As you seem to be using Insulfrog points there is no need for an ancillary switch connected to the point to change frog polarity. I use "Blue Point" controllers for both to change the frog polarity and switch power to the yard between the Main Line and Yard Controller on my Keadue layout, bit only really works where there are a maximum of two controllers. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/rotary-switches-guide

Rotaryswitchwiring.jpg.05b8566ddc882bb51c0540cda41180e8.jpg

Biggest challenge was wiring up the multi connectors between the layout and control panels-track diagrams.

John,

This is a great help, many thanks. Very informative, looks like rotary switches will be the way to go! Common rail is presumably wired up as effectively a bus with droppers the track, with the other acting as the switch/isolate? Probably quite complicated but should be a useful learning curve.