SSM Bandon Tank

Rate this question

status quo

Question

9 answers to this question

In CBSCR days they were green, probably a shade of olive green, lined in yellow. After 1925 they were all over grey, smokebox, wheels & chimney included until withdrawal. One (maybe 2 - have to look it up) of the class received lined CIE green as seen on 800 in Cultra, in the mid 50s. Pre-CIE days, from 1925 they had the standard cast GSR numberplates. Later CIE used the then-standard painted numerals.

The grey on RPSI's 186 is correct - described in GSR days as "dark battleship grey". Occasional variations, according to those who were there to witness it, would see an occasional locomotive painted even darker, and many appeared dirty black when heavily weathered. At least one J15 was turned out in a colour little darker than wagon grey in the 30s. Towards the end of steam in the late 50s, a few locomotives were painted black. A list of them is in the late Bob Clements / Drew Donaldsons book on CIE locos which was published in the 70s.

The RPSI for some reason "dirties" the smokebox and chimney on 186, while maintaining clean paint on the rest of the loco, to make the smokebox look black. In traffic, it was all grey - one of extremely few liveries in the world where the smokebox and chimney were not black. Wheels were also grey.

Status Quo,

I defer to JB Achill's depth of knowledge on this one, but can only add what I added myself to Wikipedia based on the various colour books I have

Livery

In CB&SCR service, the class was painted olive green with yellow lining.[8] In CIÉ service there was some variation in liveries.

466 was painted CIÉ green in December 1948.[7]

467 was a dark blue-green in 1953.[3]

470 was a dark matt off-black in 1954[3] and 463 was the same in 1962.[9]

464 appeared to be gloss black in 1961.[10]

Interesting, Weshty. I was aware of the one-offs in black or blackish colours, and the green one, though earlier when I posted that I was away from my own research records so couldn'nt quote exact loco numbers from memory. But the "blue-green" intrigues me. Is it possible to direct me to the pic showing it? I suspect it might have been the standard green, but very dirty, possibly allied with a distorted colour rendition in an old slide, but I'd be interested to see it anyway.

Must check that out, Weshty - it's one of the very few books I don't have at the moment. Interesting.... I remember seeing a pic of a Woolwich which looked like it had darker than usual green, but it was very dirty. Another pic of the same loco somewhere else, taken about the same time, showed it much lighter... same with railcars sometimes. I remember the UTA green could look a lot darker in certain light if it was dirty. I'll know what it is when I see the pic!