New freight flows

Rate this topic

201bhoy

Someone said a wee while back that they saw a new sign in front of North Esk saying "Aras Lasta/Freight Depot". I would love it to be reconnected, far too many big container cranes disused these days. Limerick, Sligo, Dundalk and North Esk (for now) all spring to mind. Adelaide, Tralee, Longford and Mallow all had gantry cranes, all gone now (I think) :( There are probably others too. I know that North Wall did have at least two at one stage! One thing I've been wondering is, is there any chance that freight at sometime in the future could make a resurgence here up north?

The old railway owned container depot with its gantry crane is tending to be a thing of the past, much of todays freight generated by Logistics, Port and Shipping companies now handled in new purpose built depots in Industrial areas with good road and motorway connections like Daventry freight terminal in the UK.

This has started in Ireland with the IWT traffic and the new siding into Dublin Port, Logistics companies are more likely to consider rail for line haul work between distribution depots and the ports as Irish Rail are no longer in direct competition as a door to door delivery service.

Its hard to second guess what is going to happen, but businesses are begining to seriously invest in rail, currently freight in Hamilton is handled in a new depot jointly owned and operated by the railway and a major customer on the city ring road, and two major private railfreight terminals are planned and we do not have Irelands manufacturing expot base.

Edited by Mayner

The old railway owned container depot with its gantry crane is tending to be a thing of the past, much of todays freight generated by Logistics, Port and Shipping companies now handled in new purpose built depots in Industrial areas with good road and motorway connections like Daventry freight terminal in the UK.

This has started in Ireland with the IWT traffic and the new siding into Dublin Port, Logistics companies are more likely to consider rail for line haul work between distribution depots and the ports as Irish Rail are no longer in direct competition as a door to door delivery service.

Its hard to second guess what is going to happen, but businesses are begining to seriously invest in rail, currently freight in Hamilton is handled in a new depot jointly owned and operated by the railway and a major customer on the city ring road, and two major private railfreight terminals are planned and we do not have Irelands manufacturing expot base.

Nice one John, so same but different.

No doubt back in the 70's, gricers bemoaned the end of 4 wheel stock and the generic look of containerisation.

We are now going through another iteration. So long as we start seeing a rational use of rail haulage, in whatever form, we should be happy.

Though how the Foynes link is not being used just absolutely escapes me.....

Any new freight flow is good news. Regarding the north, there's nothing on the horizon, according to good sources of mine, and the timber to Derry issue has raised its head in the world of rumours a number of times over the years.

However, I suppose one can never say never. A few years ago, the prevailing opinion was that pretty much all freight would disappear forever. Clearly, and happily, this isn't the case. Mayner's comments about his neck of the world are very interesting and certainly the first impression I would take out of that is that if such things are possible there, they certainly are here.

Any new freight flow is good news. Regarding the north, there's nothing on the horizon, according to good sources of mine, and the timber to Derry issue has raised its head in the world of rumours a number of times over the years.

However, I suppose one can never say never. A few years ago, the prevailing opinion was that pretty much all freight would disappear forever. Clearly, and happily, this isn't the case. Mayner's comments about his neck of the world are very interesting and certainly the first impression I would take out of that is that if such things are possible there, they certainly are here.

You're probably about up here. I just want to see something different going past here! Those golden days when there used to be cement bubbles, timber trains, fertiliser trains, guinness liners, mk3 push pulls, NIR and IE mk2s... now we just get the CAFs and the Enterprise.