Uniload containers

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

One of the first things to happen as a result of the implementation of the Rail Development Plan by CIE was the introduction of 10' and 20' Uniload containers, presumably for the remaining sundries traffic. I have a number of photos of them in the consist of the Youghal branch freight in the 1970s. Now would they have been the 10' or 20' variety? Irish Freight Models produce both versions, a pair 10's on a 42' 9'' container flat and the 20' on a 20' underframe. Did the 10' variety run singly and on what underframe?

Stephen

7 answers to this question

Right, that's one misconception out of the window. So, what's the 20' container that is part of the spray train consist, just a 20' container? When the spray wagons were on their 4w underframes, there were also three 20' containers on 4w underframes, as modelled by IFM.

Stephen

Stephen,

There are heaps of photos of the containers here

http://steverabone.com/RailwayPhotographs/ireland_1984.htm

irelan179.jpg

irelan180.jpg

The container on the spray is a home made 20' CIE version, with two double doors on the sides, along with the original doors on the end (closed up). I heard once that the side doors were to facilitate loading of bagged chemicals via forklift, but I could be wrong. That's it beside the right hand leg of the gantry crane.

irelan211.jpg

Richie.

Referring back to my original question, I have obviously mistaken a 20' container on a 4w flat for a Uniload container, but these photos show that you can only get two Uniloads on a 20' flat. not one. The fixings don't allow for it.

Stephen

The 20' containers with side doors and half heights were sometimes marshalled in loose coupled trains and used in the same manner as H vans and open wagons and ran to places such as Athy and Youghal.

CIE used to operate a warehousing and distribution service for Murray Kitchens from their factory in Youghal to building sites in Dublin, and its possible that containers were loaded in the Yard in Youghal before North Esk was comissioned.

Distribution in Dublin was by a 2 axle Bedford TK with 20' flat bed or skeletal body, from memory the truck had a white cab and Murray logo and the drivers name was Richie.

Distribution in Dublin was by a 2 axle Bedford TK with 20' flat bed or skeletal body, from memory the truck had a white cab and Murray logo and the drivers name was Richie.

John, your knowledge knows no bounds. Well impressed.