Nce power cab

Rate this question

Riversuir226

Question

Well the time has come, the pro box met our 3 year old so a new system is in order, i' m 99% sure its the Nce powercab i ll be going with.

I ve a few questions before i make the move don t want to jump in with both feet like the select and dynamsis.

1. If i buy the basic set, is it a matter of buying the 5 amp power transformer or do i have to get the full 5 amp pack.

2. Any problems? I m not interested in controlling points or signalling had enough trouble getting my head around doing it with dc plus it ll have enough to deal with the 30 plus loco fleet and a rather large 5m x 4m layout.

3. Can you get power boosters

4. Existing chips MM, lenz gold and bachmann will they be ok?

5. Can it receive upgrades etc like the hornby elite etc

Edited by Riversuir226

3 answers to this question

Well the time has come, the pro box met our 3 year old so a new system is in order, i' m 99% sure its the Nce powercab i ll be going with.

I ve a few questions before i make the move don t want to jump in with both feet like the select and dynamsis.

1. If i buy the basic set, is it a matter of buying the 5 amp power transformer or do i have to get the full 5 amp pack.

2. Any problems? I m not interested in controlling points or signalling had enough trouble getting my head around doing it with dc plus it ll have enough to deal with the 30 plus loco fleet and a rather large 5m x 4m layout.

3. Can you get power boosters

4. Existing chips MM, lenz gold and bachmann will they be ok?

5. Can it receive upgrades etc like the hornby elite etc

Hi Riversuir,

Good choice, the basic 2.5amp system can easily be upgraded, but you do need the full 5 amp pack.

I did quite a bit of research on this and all the forums that had posted about it everybody liked it and its proving to be a reliable system.

You can get boosters but you need to split your layout into zones, but the 5amp system will run up to 7 or 8 locos at the same time.

Existing chips are fine with it, as its NMRA compliant.

Not sure about the upgrades though.

Its a very easy to use system and setting up consists is a doddle.

Best of luck with it :tumbsup:

Hi

For what it is worth a few Members of Wexford MRC

have chosen the Guagemaster Prodigy system it does everything

it says on the box

I can operate in excess of 7 locos with sound running on all of

them without an extra booster using my original one approx. 5 years old

David Wexford

While I have heard no complaints about the Powercab and it seems to be a universally popular system I would agree with David when he recommends the Prodigy.

It has more power than the Powercab (3.5 amps) which should be more than enough for most layouts and programming locos' cv's and setting up consists is simple.